????? ????? ????? ?????
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ?????

jax7725 Guest

Default ?????

Is there a possession limit on the number of walleyes you can take home? We are coming out for a week in April and I was wondering what possession limits are? We will be staying on one of the islands...

thanks

walleyefever12# Guest

2 limits, thats it. Yes that sucks when you are going to be their for a week.

Post Thanks / Like

Default limit

I stayed on South bass 2 years ago and a C.O. told me there is an exception to how many fish you can take home if you ride ferry over. You can take home all your daily limits. Otherwise you are only allowed one days limit possession.

walleyefever12# Guest

2 limits in possession. That sucks when you are going to be their a week. I think they need to change that because it wold be nice to bring home alot of walleye to have in your freezer.

Krayfish Guest

Is this a change in 2009? At that time of year, it has always been 4 fish per day multiplied the number of days you fished. So, if you were there for 5 days, you could bring home 20 walleyes. A couple guys in our party got checked, very diligently, two years ago and were legal, so I know this WAS the limit.

Update- Just checked- Per the Ohio regulations- the four is still accurate and I can not find any info on a two day possession limit. Perhaps the individual who put that on here can provide some help on where he found that? Here is the link to the regs. In fact, there is no mention of possession which in the past meant there is none except your daily limit and the days you fished.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/pub084.pdf
    Last edited by Krayfish; 03-30-2009 at 08:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up walleye limit

I recently had this same question and contacted my partner in our charter business who is a indiana co. He contacted a good friend who is a co in ohio . He told us there was no possession limit, you must clean, bag and date your catch and then you will have no issues with any of the conservation officers. So fis away and good luck

WalleyeHunter18 Guest

Default No possession limit

I contacted the ODNR and here is the response...

"There is no possession limit, but a daily limit.
    In order to keep fish caught, every days catch should be bagged, dated,
    and with a skin patch on them. If you stay in a hotel or a campground,
    you should have a hotel receipt or receipt from the campground to show
    the dates that you were there as further proof. If they are at your
    house, then you can return the next day if the fish are left there.

It is advised that the entire skin is left on the fillet if possible for
    identification, but not necessary if it is easy to identify. Make sure
    that the fish that is bagged, dated and with the skin from the previous
    day's catch is left at the hotel or camp site or house. You cannot
    clean fish or possess fillets while on or at any body of water. They
    cannot be in a vehicle either that is on or at any body of water."

FISH ON!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was just going by what the C.O. told me. You can take home all your daily limits (4 days fishing, 4 limits) IF you take ferry out to island. Otherwise 1 days limit was all you could take home. I also looked online to try to find possession limits before I went and couldn't find anything on it so I called Ohio DNR and they told me 1 day limit possession. They didn't mention anything about exception for ferry to island. I may have been told wrong but thats what I was going by. Figured the C.O. that checked my fish would know. Be nice if they actually posted possession limit rules on their website.

walleyefever12# Guest

I talked to a co at the Maumee river. They even checked my truck coming out of the parks. I emailed the DNR that question when he emails me back I will post his answer. There is nothing on their web page about this like their is on the Michigans DNR. I was told if you are camping you can eat your limit of walleye at the camp but you better not have on you more then 2 limits. That was what i was told by the CO. Just use your head and find a CO when you get their and ask him because he will probley be the one checking you when you get back.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Daily Limit

I am going to weigh in on this "limit" issue. Some may get offended, however it is not my intention.

The law is written as Daily limit not possession limit. I have always understood an inividuals daily limit is what they have in their freezer, cooler, boat, hotel or any other storage facility, all combined together on any given day. Ie., if you have a daily limit in your home freezer and another daily limit in your cooler, you have 2x your daily limit on the same day and can be cited. I do not believe there is any exemption for providing reciepts for hotels, charter trips, or multiple day excursions. We are allowed 1x our daily limit period. Fishermen have manipulated this and started the possession rule by mouth, stating they are allowed 1 limit in their freezer and another for that day so they may go fishing. My interpretation is we are allowed 1 limit period regardless of where we have it or how many days we fished. I would encourage anyone with a opposing belief in the law to get in in writing from the ODNR. Just remember if we were told wrong by an official, we are still held responsible, not the officer.

Fishermen Ethics-I spoke on this last year. My thoughts are to take ONLY what you will eat and leave the rest. I used to get wrapped up in trying to balance the cost of fishing with the retail value of what I catch and no matter how hard I fished, I always came up short on the $$$ end of it. I learned to relax and enjoy fishing. I take pictures of trophies and release them and that feels way better than killing and eating or mounting a trophy.

Don't get me wrong. I love to eat fish. I am just far more conservative than I once was. I have 6 licensed members of my family, in my home, and I didn't freeze a single fish last year. If I wanted "cheap" fish, I would save a ton of money and buy it at the grocery store.........FYI keep your receipt as it can count against your daily limit.

Bottom line- There is far too much overfishing. Commercial fishing north of the border on Erie is rediculous. I can't take issue with them if I am guilty of it too. I love the catch and consume rule of thumb. I understand freezing fish too so we can stretch out our feed throughout the winter. I find tremendous fault with anyone bagging and freezing multiple day limits. That is just greed and killing the fishery. Don't whine to me when the bag limit drops or seasons close or worse yet end. That is the direction things are going all over the world. Our planet is overfished/overharvested. Yes- even the Great Lakes. Throw some back men. For our futuer.