Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead_SMF View Post
Ok right on. I feel like that would suit me best. I'm not a huge fan of long rods and 8 foot plus just seems like too much. With a pontoon you can get fairly close to where you're trying to net and that's a lot of pole to maneuver.
I tend to stick with the shortest rods I can, but i have a small boat and don't like reaching over the side to detach the Offshore planner boards. So I go with 7' rods.

Now I have had Med Light, med, and Med Heavy rods. My preference is of the following;

ML - use for trolling with Braid and can be used for Down Rigging with mono. The con is there is no backbone, but is forgiving when if you try to mussel in a fish.
M - Use for Mono when trolling, can be used for Down Rigging, but cannot load the rod as much. Fair bit of backbone in the rod.
MH - Use with Braid for Dipsies. All back bone rod. Not forgiving at all.

I tend to stick with Diawa rods, but I buy the "Wilderness" series at $20 a rod to keep it affordable to my budget. I normally pair with Diawa Accudepths line counters. Again an low cost real that I have never had issues with. I normally buy the rods from franks Great Outdoors at the Novi Sportsman show.

Now this is my opinion, and will differ than most.