Sturgeon Point 7/19/08 Sturgeon Point 7/19/08 Sturgeon Point 7/19/08 Sturgeon Point 7/19/08
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully I will be able to get out next Saturday. I'm always on ch 68.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas Wells

The Sunday BNews was showing all the gas wells in Canada right in the middle of L Erie. Probably 10 mi west of Sturgeon Pt. There are 100's of them. Are you guys who saw the buoys sure they are net fishermen or could they be gas wells ?

I'm going west 10 miles out of SP and try my luck. So far, nothing in the freezer ! Gotta get some yellows.

Post Thanks / Like

Default gas wells,weather bouy, Brocton fish

Gas wells are under water. You can't see them from a boat and to my knowledge are not marked with bouys. There is a weather bouy out there that you can access from the internet for wind speed/direction and wave height. below is the address, save it, it updates hourly and can tell you a lot about how the lake conditions are and what the trend is.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45142

If you need to catch fish, go to Brocton Schoals area, between Dunkirk and Barcelona, 65 feet of water, in front of a blue water tower,
    slightly SW of schoals. Last week you could limit out there in 2 hours.
    Brocton schoals is marked on any good lake chart of the area. It has some rare structure for this end of the lake. Fish are being caught off the structure by a couple miles.

Puking Dog

jersysider Guest

Default any advice?

I just found this sight and the information is great. I'm ready to make my first trip to Erie . Planning on putting in at Catt. creek. No downriggers but I'm fully stocked on dipsys and lead core. Flying blind is tough so alittle advice on where to start would help a ton! What are the size/limit on the eyes? Just one would be worth the trip! I need ya Pukin Dog, Throw me a bone............J!

sabercuts Guest

15 inches or better 5 a day on the walleyes.If you have never been out on Erie you might want to get the fishing hotspots maps(theres 2 for NY parts of Erie) They are a great point of reference for ideas of were you are and were to go.Have fun and good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Catt trip

go straight out until you 70 feet of water minimum.

Black and purple or watermelon(pink and green) are my go to colors.

Dipseys ; I used big one last trip out, set on 3, used only 65 feet of line.
    When I set it deeper, got no fish. But that was that day.

Bigger fish tend to hold closer to the bottom on sunny days, but a got a 9 pounder last time out with 65 feet of line on the dipsey plus 3 eyes between 3 and 4 pounds.

Lead core: had one line with 5 colors one with 4. Both caught fish but they were smaller. Stick baits on lead work well. Put half a nightcrawler on back hook. If you use a whole worm, it kills the bait action and no strikage.

You can run sticks on dipseys too.

Don't troll too fast 1.6 to 2 mph.

Good luck, hope the fish are active. If you don't see fish on your graph don't panic. If they are high in the water column, they will spook sideways way before your transducer sees them, but they will still hit especially if you have boards.

Puking dog

Post Thanks / Like

Default sturgeon point

how far is sturgeon point from the pa line

jimski2 Guest

Point Breeze Marina has a small ramp. Put a $5 bill in the gate machine and go straight to the ramp. Park near the Gate house. Use your power tilt till to you get 4 feet of water as swells will cost you a prop. It is shallow and a few rocks travel around there.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink to jerseysider

Don't set your dipsey at zero.
    You want to get get it as far away from the boat as possible, to get a wider troll pattern. This allows you to cover more water and troll more lines.

You should be setting at 2 and a half or 3 with the weight on the bottom of the dipsey, on the inside (closest to the boat). So the port side dipsey will be set opposite of the starboard dipsey.

The only way you should be running dipsey's set at zero is if your running 3 dipsey's on each side of the boat.

If you are running 3 per side, set one at .5 or zero, the middle one at 1.5 and the outside one at 2.5 or 3.

The closer to the boat, the deeper they run. Try to get all 3 running at different depths until you hone in on where the fish are hitting then adjust the others by controlling how much line you let out.

You can also run mini-dipseys on planer boards.

When it comes to Lake Erie, the farther away from the boat you can get, the better you are. The fish can see your boat coming and will fan away from the boat.

Good luck next trip

Puking dog

jersysider Guest

Thanks for the info pukin dpg! Gonna try and make it up one day this week if the weather cooperates. Not ready to hang it up just yet.....J!