how is fishing in buffalo how is fishing in buffalo how is fishing in buffalo how is fishing in buffalo
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 56 of 465 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You can do 2 baits buy put stick off dipsy and harness above so upper don't dive into lower.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey wishin? Did the small eye you caught not trip the dipsy release? You should loosen the release screw a 1/16 of a turn at a time. Everyone hates losing fish at the boat. It's the worst feeling. They see the boat and start thrashing, usually just out of net range. My buddy laughed at me for my net size, but it works. What I use is a double extension, (10ft) big hoop net. Like Muskie net size. That way I can reach way out and the net size makes it easy to get the fish in on the first shot.

Post Thanks / Like

The last walleye I caught trolling felt like a wet sock on the end, I wasn't sure I even had a fish on until it almost got to the boat. The hardware used to get down deeper takes away from feeling the fish on the end somewhat. I have "worked" the pole when trolling, ie bring it slowly forward and then slack off, this gives me a good feel of how everything feels with no fish on, kind of a baseline. I've seen my pole act differently, set the hook, and then bring it slowly forward if I'm still unsure to check how it feels. I'm still new at this fishing erie thing, but years ago used to troll for walleyes up in canada, chautauqua, with smaller everything.

Fish that have fight left in them, when they get near the boat will actually see the boat, think it's a predator and panic. That's why they get lost at the boat, and is exactly what happened to me last year with a big musky that I hooked and lost at the boat, forgot about that crucial time when they see the boat and will try and sound deeper, roll, etc. This can happen especially if the fish does not fight much at first, or you use the boat to get closer to the fish like I did my musky.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks a bunch

thanks guys you have all been so helpful - its because of this forum that my fishing skills have increased - i read all that is posted by you and have learned alot.

i'm a wanna-be al linder, so if you see me on the water, say hello, i drive a blk. 18' lund - "rippin lips"

one confession, although productive, trolling can be so boring, i'm use to feeling for the hit!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by copo427ss View Post
    Hey wishin? Did the small eye you caught not trip the dipsy release? You should loosen the release screw a 1/16 of a turn at a time. Everyone hates losing fish at the boat. It's the worst feeling. They see the boat and start thrashing, usually just out of net range. My buddy laughed at me for my net size, but it works. What I use is a double extension, (10ft) big hoop net. Like Muskie net size. That way I can reach way out and the net size makes it easy to get the fish in on the first shot.
    copo i'm a fan of yours

Post Thanks / Like

Default What about snubbers?

I was reading through the last page of posts and wanted to possible add to the discussion, besides loosening up on the drag, what about the use of a snubber on a dipsy or down rigger or leas core?

Post Thanks / Like

Wishin, I think I was near you I was in the grady white boat with the hard top when I picked up & left. Were you in the blk. boat with an orange shirt on ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wishin fishin View Post
    one confession, although productive, trolling can be so boring, i'm use to feeling for the hit!!
    I can get bored with it too, that's why I hold a pole and work it. Speed it up, slow it down, up down etc anything to give it a little action and I have consistently outfished the people who just sit there watching the pole. I have caught some niced sized walleyes in the past by moving the pole forward and then moving it back, that slows the lure/bait down right in front of a following fish and they can't help but strike. You know how doing S turns gives you an idea of speed and what the fish want? Same principle and at the least I feel like I'm putting in some effort. In a boat with just two people and a couple of poles this works pretty easy, with 6 lines out and 4 people maybe not.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with walleyes is that when they hit, it feels like a snag initially, but unlike a snap, the line can be reeled in, then they fight and pull. Do not horse them or you may lose em. After a while they give up and you rell them up pretty easily although there is a weight on the line. When they get close to the boat they get a 2nd wind and fight like crazy. That's when you really have to be careful and let them take line if they want, but never, never, give up the tension on the line. Eventually they get tired and then you reel them up and net 'em. Make sure you net them b/c I have lost lots of walleye real close
    to the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it's going to be a rough weekend for fishing. Small craft earnings until Sat. nite right now. Vision you were lucky you got out yesterday. Everyone be safe.