This may save you a dollar or two, plus you will always have shiners. I started about five years ago to try to preserve shiners, I tried canning salt, rubbing alcohol, and a couple of other ways with not much luck. Then three years ago a friend gave me some shiners and told me to just shake the water off of them, put a days supply in a zip lock bag and freeze them. I did and it worked. Now they will get mushy so wife and I only get out a couple dozen at a time and keep the rest on ice. When they are mushy they still work you just don't get a second chance if you miss the bite, you have to rebate but hey they are free. We use a eight foot minnow seine throwing type and can usually put up enough minnows in a week to last all summer. We started keeping track of our perch catch five years ago and we have been over two thousand a year since we started counting so I am talking a few minnows. Oh we clean the fish ourselves and give most of them to friends and family, we have a lot of friends until the fish are gone. Hope this helps have a good season.