Ashtabula/Geneva Ashtabula/Geneva Ashtabula/Geneva Ashtabula/Geneva
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ashtabula/Geneva

This may be a stupid question but does anyone fish for the walleyes out of these locations in May? Are there a good amount of resident fish there year around?

I would be willing to try it but maybe it's not worth the 2 1/2 hour drive? The weather is so random lately to make a 5 hour drive to Port Clinton with a smaller boat. Much appreciated if anyone would be willing to comment.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ashtabula/Geneva

yeah there are some fish to be had, but you still have to travel west a bit. perry, lorain, etc. but its hit and miss unless you got some charters your hooked up with. it would be better just to fish around cleveland if your coming from out west like the distance you are driving. you have more of the fish now so enjoy the shallow fishin while you can DW. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Hey PFK! OMG...I just typed up a huge response and lost it. I enjoyed talking and sharing info with you last summer.

I live in the southwest corner of NY. I think I'll take your advice and continue going to Port Clinton until through Memorial Day.

Then I wanna try Ashtabula soon after that. I know the fish have been there by the first week of July in the past. I wonder how soon in June they show up in numbers. I suppose I can also call the tackle shop at Lake Shore Park. They've always been helpful.

Stay in touch brother. I appreciate you.

~Don

Post Thanks / Like

Budman told me last season that they have had luck in Ashtabula in May but he normally focuses on mid June and beyond.

I'm just an addict I guess😂

Post Thanks / Like

I chatted with you some last year DW. We start fishing Geneva usually around 3rd week of May. Success has been hit and miss. Consistent limits usually occur after the first week of June. But it beats heading west especially if you have time constraints. With that being said, I am optimistic the bite will happen sooner this year given the water temps. I am planning on heading out on Monday (5/13) to give it a try out of Fairport. Depending on success, I may start hitting Geneva the week after. I will give you an update once I have one. Good chatting again!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning Scott. Yes, I remember! This sounds really encouraging. The water temps appear to be higher than average so I bet you are right on. Plans keep changing but I'm thinking I'll go West for a long weekend the weekend of 5/18. Then...start hitting the Ashtabula area in June and through September.

Best of luck and safe fishing when you get out there. I greatly appreciate you sharing info which helps me learn this area better. For family style trips, this is a great location for me. There are not a lot of guys who are willing to share in the Central basin and especially in the Eastern. I will post everything I learn when I go also.

Thanks again my friend and tight lines!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to catch some in 24 to 30 ft off shades Beach in PA in May, but don't get up that way anymore

Post Thanks / Like

Very good to know. Thank you for sharing Sir! The weather looks crappy out west for a while and I really don't want to play the price gouging game for hotels over the holiday weekend. So....my next trip just might be in early June to the Central basin.

Good luck on Monday Schapman.