Portage River Portage River Portage River Portage River

Thread: Portage River

Post Thanks / Like

Default Portage River

I am taking the family to Cedar Point the first week of August and we will be staying at a house on a channel close to Nugent's Canal Yacht Club. I will be taking the boat so my wife and I can fish while the kids go ride the rides. I was wondering how long the ride is out to the lake and is there any shallow points in that are of the river.
    I was on Lake Michigan one time and saw a boat get beached in the St. Joe river while trying to get to the lake. There was a very shallow spot that was not marked and he tried to cross, not knowing it was that shallow.

Thanks in advance for any info

On a side note my granddaughter is graduating one year early with a 3.80 gpa. plus she held a part time job for over a year. That is a huge accomplishment so I am taking her and a couple friends to Cedar Point for a day and then to some water park and they will probably hang out at the beach for a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Portage River

I live in Nugents . It is about 10-15min boat ride to the lake . From nugents to to the RR bridge the water is 4-5 ft.

stay in the middle of river from RT 2 Bridge to RR bridge and you will be fine. Once under the RR bridge it is all slow zone to the lake (thru downtown PC). Stay inside channel markers thru there and you will be fine also.

I have a 27ft IO and have had no problem with water this year yet..Just keep eye out for a dead head every once in awhile if we get alot of rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Fishaholic, that is what I was looking for. I appreciate your reply

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, ask a local. I would add that since you will be there in August, Lake water level may drop. Make sure on arrival you check with the locals at Nugent's. I'd get Fishahalic Charters phone number (if he'll give it) and call him when you get there. Get the latest on any obstructions or changes in Navigation. Also, the RR bridge will lower for trains (duh) so factor that 15-20 minute delay into your time schedule. There is a warning (I think a loud whistle?) when the bridge is closing, which is a few minutes before the train arrives. There is a sign at the bridge about this.

I think people at Cedar Point Marina get to enter the Park before the regular folks, or don't have to wait in the long line. Make sure you get your dock reservation now (I assume you already have) and find out all the details about the park.

Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

I go out of Nugents most of the time. I have timed it several times and it's always 20 minutes for me to get to the lake. And yes the railroad bridge can be an additional 15 to 20 minutes to be raise up, if needed.
    Last edited by island troller; 06-08-2024 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like

both correct on bridge. RR bridge has had about 6-8 foot of clearance so far this year. I'm about 7 feet tall from waterline and have not needed to call for a raise yet this year. ( i can drop my top to sneak under also).

There is a Phone # on the sign at the bridge if you need it raised open. Call and tell them you need the 'Portage River Bridge raised Please" They control a few bridges in the area from a remote location. No need to re-call for them to lower , they will watch you clear from their cameras and lower when you all pass.. Just know you are at their mercy, that is a busy track system. calling over and over will piss them off, LOL..

Bridge in downtown normally has about a foot or more clearance than the RR bridge. It does raise at the top and bottom of every hour .

Not sure what type of boat you have , But if your a Lund ,Ranger,ect type boat you are clear sailing as far as bridges go.

My family and i has been in nugents for over 35 yrs and have seen it all as far as water level goes. Seen the canals almost dried up for a few years and have seen it over my dock by a few feet... Its has been pretty good the last few years due to getting some normal snowfall and rain here and the upper great lakes.

Enjoy your time here on our wonderful north shore!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If you do fit under the railroad bridge don't forget to lower that marine antenna. That bridge likes to eat them. It ate mine on my Lund a few years back. I don't give it the chance to anymore.