Tru Trip help Tru Trip help Tru Trip help Tru Trip help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tru Trip help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been running the boards without the flags to try to make it simpler because with the wind lately the speed varies 1.0 mph (into wind and with the wind) and the flags show a big difference. I've been reading about how the flags give a better look but I'm still learning. I like your earlier advise about loosening the screw and seeing the boards move to a more horizontal position. I will probably head to Cabelas or Bass Pro and pick up a pair of the Church's and give them a try. Too bad I didn't ask sooner because I have a lot invested in the Offshore with the OR18 and tattle flags. I think I'm up to $100/lb for the walleye and heading higher. I will have to give the rubber bands a try to tighten the flags.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to invest in new boards (although I'd recommend the church boards over offshore sure to the clip in the back that keeps the board from coming off of the line). A little modification of what you have should work. I'm probably going to try Wakina's rubber band method soon myself. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Although I prefer the Church Boards because they can handle more weight and the nifty rear pin that almost makes losing a board impossible, there is nothing wrong with the Off Shore Boards. I think the best new investment you can make at this time would be some TT-30 divers. As has been stated you can get the depth that you need out of them easy enough and the only difference is that it takes more line out to achieve the same depth but they do pull easier than the TT-40 divers. Like I said I don't know that much about the Off Shore Boards but you might want to check and see if the lead ballast weight is adjustable. If it is then move it all the way forward to put more weight on the front of the board to help some in bringing down a little of the vertical angle caused by the divers pulling weight on the rear of the board.

If you are using more than one board per side you can also watch the angle the boards are running away from the boat, I call it the V effect with the bottom of the V being the boat and the wings being the line out to your boards. If either one is lagging back even just a little then some thing has change on one or the other. It could be a junk fish hooked up or a larger fish just sort of swimming along making the board lag some. Then again it could be that the one that is forward some has been tripped and that is the reason there is a difference in the two or more boards on that wing of the V or it could be both. Your patience will be rewarded and eventually your experience will help you you to determine which is which. Please be aware that the port side wing of the V will most likely be at a different angle than the starboard side due to wind direction, currents or both.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip