Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Angler in need of some help

Hello my name is Jesse I'm 31 I live in central OH. I was in an auto accident and am confined to a wheelchair. I have a fishing friend and she is now 15 we spent the last summer Kayak fishing mostly for catfish. The biggest one being just shy of 20lbs witch she caught and what a thrill it was to see that fish dragging her around the lake screaming "OMG" LOL now she can't get enough fishing in. We recently upgraded our kayaks to Vibe angler 130 and we will be coming to lake Erie in the spring time around early may looking to catch some walleye. I really want to see her hook up on some walleye. I was looking at Maumee bay and drifting using 3/4oz purple walleye killer jigs with minnows. I have a Lowrence 5x HDI. I was hopping to get any advice to whether or not I am on the right track as far as bait, location, depths to look for. Thanks and would just like to say this group from what I have seen and read seem like a very good group my hats off to ya all!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Your on the right track. Lot of people will be fishing little to the east of maumee bay out front of wildwings. Wild wings is located next to the power plant. You can't miss all the boats out fishing. When you stop to get your minnows they should be able to tell you what color hair jigs are producing fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Before you come up give me a call and i will be more than happy to supply you with all the info you need to have a successful trip. 614.327.7144. Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Remember spring time the water is very cold and dangerous. Might want to plan for warmer weather. Don't want any accidents, a couple years ago a man and his daughter tried that in the spring and didn't return. Not trying to be negative but safety first.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes we will be very closely watching and monitoring the weather an actually this past fall was at the outer banks in some very rough surf. That being said we will be only going out on a calm or near calm day. However we have 2 years of Kayaking under our belt and have encountered rough water if it comes up. We don't take chances if the weather turns we head for the bank. Skipper9 thank you so much I follow your post and have your number already wrote down.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wild wings

I run out of wild wings if you are thinking of going out there give me a call i will let you know where we are at and the program.
    614-354-0652

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Guys

Hey guys it me Lillian, Jesses fishing buddy. Now I have been listening to him read your guys posts over the last few days and I am getting tired of hearing so much negativity, and about him leaving me home are you NUTS!? He is in a wheelchair, plus I wouldn't let him go with out me. I absolutely love kayaking and fishing. We both know what to do in an emergency. Yes, I know I am 15, ad when think of a 15 year old girl you think small weak and most times prisy. Well I am here to set the record strait. I stand about 5'8 and about 160, I can throw 40lb bags around like they are nothing. I love fishing and anything outside. And just saying you guys saying negative stuff and telling Jesse to leave me at home, Please we don't want negative stuff, we just want to know about the fishing. And all your negative comments are not going to stop us, and im going. Thanks for reading

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not unless you wear a survival suit

Others have hinted at it, but I will just say it. Kayaking lake erie in early may is a bad idea. The water temperature will most likely be mid 40's to maybe 50. This is no time to take a chance. If you wear survival suits, have at it. If not the chances of survival "if" something happens gets pretty slim, and the chances of something happening in a kayak on lake erie are good. I do not care what the air temperature is, if the lake temp is 45 you have to dress for 45 weather. There are many on this site and other sites as well as many charter captains, head boats, etc that you can go out with in the spring. Plan your lake erie kayak trip for when the water temp is 60F or above. Take a ferry out to the islands with your kayaks and catch small mouth, largemouth, catfish, sheephead, walleye, perch, etc all day long in enjoyable weather. Do not chance your life or the life a minor under your supervision in early spring in a kayak. Can it be done, sure, but should it be done???? My 2 cents is don't do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys thank you for your concerns. I would like to say we will be packing warm dry close that in the event something happens we will have warm dry close secondly these kayaks are sit on top made for surf and will drain out when turned back upright all that being said and again I thank you all for your concerns and from what I am gathering putting out at wild wings would possibly be more rough waters than putting in more farther back tucked in Maumee bay so I would like to ask this can you catch walleye in the mouth of the bay or just out from the mouth of the bay in early may.

Post Thanks / Like

yes you can but it gets rough in there as well. the places where the fish concentrate arent exactly protected areas. Also another thing to remember is that there will be hundreds to thousands of boats on the water and you will be very hard to see given the low profile nature of a kayak. We all pay attention to who is around us, but it is hard to see the smaller 16 to 18 ftrs at times especially if there is a decent chop let alone see a kayak. Like the last poster said there are plenty of opportunities. and very good fishing to be had, around the islands, plus close by the islands kayaks are much more common and people are looking for them. done preaching, good luck whatever you decide...just be safe