Tadpoles or dipseys? Tadpoles or dipseys? Tadpoles or dipseys? Tadpoles or dipseys?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skipper9 View Post
    Capt Juls, I was pointing put you were an expert on off shore equipment. I was only pointing out that I am not an expert on any equipment and dd not endorse or am sposored by any equipment manufacturers. I said dipsys work but I use the walker 107 mm. Myself. So please give your opinion and I will give my humble opinion and neither of use should take it personal. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.. good luck to ecery one on the water my friends
    So sorry...I misunderstood.

By the way, I always read your posts, because I can learn from you too. I'm no expert either, just another goof that likes to chase walleye around a big lake and pretend I'm smarter than their tiny little pea sized brain, and from time to time be very humbled by their chess match like out maneuvering.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

I personally prefer the true trips because Bigfishtuff is a local company and Dan stands behind the product and will always pick up the phone to gladly answer a question. The tadpoles are a great product and work well but as already stated there is no comparison between a dipsey and a tadpole because they serve 2 entirely separate purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default .

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    So sorry...I misunderstood.

By the way, I always read your posts, because I can learn from you too. I'm no expert either, just another goof that likes to chase walleye around a big lake and pretend I'm smarter than their tiny little pea sized brain, and from time to time be very humbled by their chess match like out maneuvering.
    "After 11 years of being entrenched in the Professional Walleye Tournament world ..........."

I think you are more than just another goof....IMHO : )

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tru trips

I like the fact that the tru trips float until you lock the reel.... also comes in real handy if you happen to snag a reef and need to shut down to free the snap, lures floating beats the heck out of dragging the bottom. Jmho

Post Thanks / Like

Default try to do opposite

if you are running in line planners and bottom bouncers, run some #1 tads on your outside lines, early season hogs are usually feeding on the top 10 ft column of water, so if you were running 20# mono with a 4ft lead/ worm harness attached to the tad, go back roughly 30ft on your release and target those biggies,should get you in that 8-10ft column mind you I'm trolling 1.2-1.5 mph early season and fishing reef type areas.Fluctuate your speeds to entice them to hit. Just my 2 cents worth.... good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

As a wise old man once told me, use whatever the boats your fishing with are using. If the people you talk to on the phone and the radio out there mostly use tadpoles on 20# mono, well you better have tadpoles with 20# mono in order to match their programs when they find the fish and you don't. 30# braid and 40 and 50 jets are not going to help you in that situation and vice versa.

For a lot of the programs around the islands and vermillion that you hear about on channel 79 you pretty much hear the same setups. 30# braid, 40 tru tip jets, dipseys, inline weights and a mix of 50 tru tips and regular jets depending on the boat. I hear more of the tadpoles talked bout on the message-boards after the fact, not sure if they talk on a different channel then I listen or if I just miss the reports. If more reports where given with them on the lake, people would be more inclined to purchase and use them.

It is amazing how quickly on a slow day that someone can mention they are getting fish on a Skinned Squirrel reef runner, 2 oz inline etc that by the time I get in, clean the boat and head to the tackle store to get a few for the next trip that the tackle shops are magically out of all of that gear.

Oh and on the originally topic of this thread, as others have mentioned, there really is not a replacement for dipseys. Even though I am not a big fan of those stubborn things you still got to use them, I just feel bad for that white bass I just drug for 3 miles before checking the dipsey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miso_ohio View Post
    I hear more of the tadpoles talked bout on the message-boards after the fact, not sure if they talk on a different channel then I listen or if I just miss the reports. If more reports where given with them on the lake, people would be more inclined to purchase and use them.
    I find that the larger charter boats, like Pooh and Budman, are usually running the TT's Jets with spoons, while us smaller charters are using the Tadpoles and spinners.

If you were out last weekend, you would have heard the word Tadpoles a lot on the radio (79) north side of Kelly's. Gary Zart was reporting all day long, both Saturday and Sunday, on what distance back and what color blades were working best to catch fish, and I was too, along with another boat Gary was working with. Gary was also running dipsies off his corners on the 3 setting at 35 back, but they weren't doing as well as the Tads off the boards last weekend though.

When we're catching we're reporting to help others who might be struggling. We don't talk in code like some other boats do. Those guys crack me up.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    If you were out last weekend, you would have heard the word Tadpoles a lot on the radio (79) north side of Kelly's. Gary Zart was reporting all day long, both Saturday and Sunday, on what distance back and what color blades were working best to catch fish, and I was too, along with another boat Gary was working with. Gary was also running dipsies off his corners on the 3 setting at 35 back, but they weren't doing as well as the Tads off the boards last weekend though.

That explains it on last weekend, I was on call from work so could not go out on the water so it was a weekend off for me. I guess I need to pay more attention especially in the next month or so when we are running closer in to the islands. I saw Gary's reports on OGF a couple weeks ago and looked at a few videos of them on youtube. If I was running inline boards that is definitely a route I would be looking into over Jets.

I guess those big charter boats are who I am normally listening for on the radio, I know I am not really known for a lot of radio chatter myself unless someone asks how or what I am doing.

Post Thanks / Like

This past week fishing the "Islands" area we did quite well with our corner rods running 3oz. BB but we couldn't get them to go until we brought them up to 40 back instead of on the bottom. The bulk of the fish we marked were between 18-25' ft down. We always try 2 rods off the corners along with with the 4 boards. I waited to get my Tadpoles but haven't got to use them yet Next trip though.
    Fish as much as you can...we're not here forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Size Dipsey

I fish around the islands and am wondering what is the most common or the best size dipsey to use?