sheep head sheep head sheep head sheep head
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sheep head

Post Thanks / Like

Default sheep head

just for the record i think sheep head suck! they are fun fighting fish but all they are is a dissapointment. there has to be something they are good for and if any one has any ideas of how htye can be used we need to pass the word so maybe the fisherman can help to thin em out a little bit. when ever they are caught they just get thrown back. shoould there be a tournament every year around this time or can ya eat em (yuck) i dont know maybe they are good.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishon205
    I guess that answered my question you were on the lake today? My theory on sheephead, they make great fertilizer for your garden.... sheephead tourne would be a good idea, but someone would make it catch and release and completely miss the entire point of the event.

Post Thanks / Like

We caught a bunch of H-U-G-E ones today (well I mostly did). As far as I know, and what I know is what my husband has told me or I have read, they really dont have much use. I have heard that they eat the same things as walleye so if you are catching them that there should be eyes around. Being just a "girl" I dont mind catching them. I like catching anything and I like the fight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishOn205 View Post
    just for the record i think sheep head suck! they are fun fighting fish but all they are is a dissapointment. there has to be something they are good for and if any one has any ideas of how htye can be used we need to pass the word so maybe the fisherman can help to thin em out a little bit. when ever they are caught they just get thrown back. shoould there be a tournament every year around this time or can ya eat em (yuck) i dont know maybe they are good.
    Actually they are quite good !! But they must be eaten fresh, where most people get turned off by sheepshead is they try to freeze them like other gamefish and the meat becomes mush when thawed and cooked. They are a delicate white meat fish that must be eaten same day. Have had them many times, in the old days a popular treat was to cut them in small strips and boil the meat, then dip into shrimp cocktail sauce..."poor mans shrimp" as they were known.

Airshot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    Fishon205
    I guess that answered my question you were on the lake today? My theory on sheephead, they make great fertilizer for your garden.... sheephead tourne would be a good idea, but someone would make it catch and release and completely miss the entire point of the event.
    Just make a rule that all of the sheep brought in must be dead.

Post Thanks / Like

AGREED 100% Dead

Post Thanks / Like

REAL FISHERMAN fish to catch fish, fisherman that kill everything that isn't what they want are not sportsman. Just sayin.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing dude

Whoah hold on there I know what you are saying, but you have to look at it in terms of population management. Lets say we never killed any of the gobbies Lake Erie or the asian carp that are invading the Mississippi river, or any invasive species. We never opened up urban areas for controlled deer hunts, the species would over populate the area or completely over run the area and push themselves and other species to there endangerment or extinction. What we are doing is offering up ideas on ways that could help manage the situation. No one is killing everything no one is running around the lake catching every sheephead and mounting there heads on spears this is just hypothetical ideas, and we are real fisherman as well as serious sportsman. For instance thats like saying if you catch a sheephead, white bass, white perch, gobby, or any other fish that isn't in the relm of yellow perch or walleye, and there is a slight chance that by returning it to the lake the fish may not survive then you should take it home and eat it, no questions asked. So lets keep this professional and not get too excited about this small issue that is becoming a larger issue if we dont do anything about it.

Post Thanks / Like

All of you sheephead haters should concentrate on catching walleyes and just forget about posting such BS. Those sheep head that you hate so much do as much to control the goby population and invasive mussels both Zebra and Quagga as any other species in the lake and probably more. so just how many goby's and invasive mussels do you catch and kill while walleye fishing? By releasing just one sheephead you have probably assured at least 100 goby deaths and untold zebra mussels! Isn't killing sheephead kind of counter productive, I mean you are targeting for destruction a species that is a natural native inhabitant of lake erie that also is fond of eating the invasieve species you claim to hate, but you cannot target the invasive species as well as the sheephead that you want to destroy. What type of a management plan is that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Dude View Post
    REAL FISHERMAN fish to catch fish, fisherman that kill everything that isn't what they want are not sportsman. Just sayin.
    100% correct and then some!!!!

I do kill all invasive species that I can lay my hands on as they do not belong in our lake!! That includes White perch and gobies.