sheep head sheep head sheep head sheep head
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sheep head

Post Thanks / Like

Default amen

Good point wakina!!! concludes discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

Default point missed

no one ever said kill all sheep head. i just asked if there was a good use for them... if so lets hear it now while we are all catchin a ton of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I know a few guys who smoke them and say they are great. the meat is not firm enough for me to do a fishboil. a friend from ohio says he grew up eating sheephead. but he doesn't eat them anymore but did like them as a kid. guess you'll just have to try a few recipes to know for sure. and I don't need more fish guts for my compost as the walleye supply enough.
    Last edited by ebijack; 06-22-2011 at 03:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Try this link below for sheep head recipes. I tried a couple on the grill last year and they were actually very good, a lot like red drum, but they can't be frozen.

I definitely do not agree with killing native species including sheep head. That is not sportsman like and actually displays an ignorance of the issues. The walleye population is not down because of sheep head but because of low walleye fry recruitment each spring, not because of the sheep head population. This level of walleye population is considered maintenance by the ODNR and is normal. If we were to push for anything in my opinion it would be halting commercial fishing in the US and in Canada and putting a stop to snagging walleye off their spawning beds every spring. Any way enough politics, try the link below.

http://www.ohioseagrant.osu.edu/_doc...er%20catch.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

thanx fisheye i am interested in trying some of the recipes ill post it on here on how it comes out. going out saturday in search of some perch ill post the results. good luck to all

Post Thanks / Like

Keep a big one or two and use them for the "Lucky Stones" in their head. Some women make earrings and jewelry out of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot all about those lucky stones. My grandpa use to keep a couple every now and again to cut those out when I was kid. Good memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    I know a few guys who smoke them and say they are great. the meat is not firm enough for me to do a fishboil. a friend from ohio says he grew up eating sheephead. but he doesn't eat them anymore but did like them as a kid. guess you'll just have to try a few recipes to know for sure. and I don't need more fish guts for my compost as the walleye supply enough.

They are great smoked. Stop in CheeseHaven and I'm sure they go for at least $10/lb.

They also have a value to the lake. They eat Zebra muscles, gobies, white perch and other invasive species and their fry provide food to walleye, bass, perch etc.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishOn205 View Post
    no one ever said kill all sheep head. i just asked if there was a good use for them... if so lets hear it now while we are all catchin a ton of them.
    Us sportfishermen could never catch and kill all the sheepshead in lake erie, but at best put a small dent in the population. Sheepshead multiply much faster than our precious game fish, so making sure the sheepshead and white bass and white perch are not able to eat or spawn that we return to the lake will certainly not cause their demise!

Airshot

Post Thanks / Like

My yellow lab has allergies pretty bad...have her on a 'plain' diet. She loves it when I bring home drum. Boned out and boiled is a great treat for her. Beats milk bones. I fry up my share too, just not as much as hat she gets!