Trolling Spoons??? Trolling Spoons??? Trolling Spoons??? Trolling Spoons???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default For JKR

I just saw an episode of In-Fisherman where one of the guys was using a new type of line that is color coded every 25 feet. For every 25 feet of line, the lines is a different color. He just counted out the different segments and and multiplied by 25 to get his desired depth. Apparently, the line is transparent in the water so the color does not affect the fishing. Cheap alternative to line counter reels probably. Can't remember the manufacturer but I am sure Bass Pro or Cabela's could help. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I just started trolling this year. Went on Charter yesterday to get some info on how it's done. We ran 2.5"-3" spoons on the big boards behind mini dipseys between 55-20' leads. We also ran two spoons off down riggers and two off bigger dipseys at the stern.I think these were 30-40' leads. I have trolled before but not on my own boat. Seems most people use big boards but, they are a bit more expensive. As for line tangle set the furthest line the longest back and when one pops off allow it to trail to the back of the boat before reeling in.

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling spoons

Lots of good advice here, but you might also want to consider trolling with night crawler harnesses. Fish them with jets, small dipsys or 2-3 oz. of weight, then off planer boards. or flatline, or off downriggers. usually slow, 1.3-1.8 mph. they work shallow, mid-range and deep. I used to troll just spoons, but switched two years ago when I figured out harnesses worked better for me. The only problem is you are always reeling lines in to re-bait if you don't hook up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default cheaper depth counter still

peleebound just read a couple of your post and you seem to be on the right track , the color line is a cheap way , I have a way thats even cheaper, spool up with your favorite mono or even a light color braided line pull out 25 ft and mark it with a color permanent marker say start with black for 25 ft out , then take out another 25 ft out and mark it with green that will be 50 ft out , then take out another 25 ft out and mark it with red for 75 ft out and so on ,then when you are letting the line out for your desired depth you can easily see the line left on the spool and know aprox. how much line you have let out also keep a marker with you mark your line when you catch a fish then simply go back to the mark each time .
    good fishing mblmike:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great idea

That was a really good suggestion! It would work perfect on the braid. Gonna remember that one if my counter ever goes out. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Spoons

Lots of great info here guys. I do troll using worm harnesses unless there is a good drift (which I prefer like others to feel the bite, give a little and bam set the hook). However, I don't think I'm getting into the right water column. I'll usually run an inline planer for mine and my buddies are lazy and just flat line off the back with a 2 oz bottom bouncer or inline 2 oz weight. One thing I haven't really done is use a Jet or Dipsey with harness so I'll give that a shot next time up. I have a Jet 40, so if I'm fishing in 35' water, and want to target those 12'-20' feeding fish, would that equate to about 65' back of the board to reach this depth? Also have a dipsey but haven't really used it. I lost the paperwork that came with it describing the depth it reaches and how much line to put out - I'll go find one on the internet and print it off...

Are most of you trolling in the mid-water column area or are you trying to get close to the bottom? I know, depends on where you are marking fish, but if the active fish are only 10 ft down, you'll never mark them anyway...

schneck Guest

A guy on ebay out of London Ontario makes kick but full size planers. Ran them this weekend out on myers reef. Got Em for 47 bucks, buy it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Where exactly do you plan on trolling? Out by the reefs or by the islands. Best advice I can give you if you are running big boards instead of inline boards is use a 50 jet. You do not have to let out near the line as you would on a 30 or 40. A 50 will sink an inline board tho.We troll 6 jets and 3 dipseys per side and it is amazing how well it works. Run a 1 2 and 3 setting on the dipseys and keep about 10 ft apart. I was running my number 3 at 50 number 2 at 40 and number one at 30. Also watch you speed. Our best speed right now is 1.8 to 2.0 Here before long you can bump it up to as much as 2.6 or 2.8. knots. Dont be afraid to try going with the waves, against the waves, or if not too rough try fishing the troughs as well. You can even cut the waves at an angle(worked for us this weekend). We were running 50's back 25 to 45 ft. Which means you would have to run a 40 jet 50 to 90 feet back. Its so nice to not have to crank in a half mile of line.

Also, you can make you own boards. It will cost you about 1/2 the price. Dont be afraid to add weight to the inside of the outside board and run a stainless kickout on the inside of the inside board. The harder the pull the better you will be if you are running a bunch of lines. Also try to keep your tow line as low as you can(closest to water level as possible) to assure you are going to you desired depth.
    Last edited by BigFishTuff; 05-24-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling

Hey Gloomis - I plan on trolling wherever the fish are of course! ha ha. My boat is docked over in the East Harbor area so I will probably troll North of Kellys in the 35-40ft water range. If I need to, I'll head over to the West side of North Bass in the 35 ft range. Also, I only have the basic inline planer boards (Offshore cheap yellow boards). I'm planning another weekend trip June 19th weekend bringing a couple family members so I need to get on the fish for these guys coming from KY. By then, I assume deep water is the place to be but who knows... Keep up the reports.

Post Thanks / Like

I will definately keep up the reports. Dont be afraid to try American Eagle or Ballast or even Gull areas. Fish are spotty yet but any day it is going to explode and walleyes will be on fire. I dont know if anyone else has noticed all the dead smelt? I am sure that is not helping our cause either. Happy fishing and Good Luck. Will be up for the weekend and let you know how it goes.