Quote Originally Posted by EYEFISH4FOOD View Post
Skipper, I am completely new to this walleye fishing (trolling). Wife and I just bought a camper and will be seasonal at Fort Firelands and looking to spend a lot of time there this summer. I know a lot of people have their own opinions on rods/reels/line/lures. Could you guide me on the line situation? I'm curious to know about filling my reels for the first time. Some people say mono others say braid etc. Do you fill the entire spool from start to finish with say 10# test mono? Can I run boards on 10# test? Do I have to re-spool for summertime while using dipsey's? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I value your opinion. All advice from anyone will be much appreciated.
10# will work but i'd go with 12# myself. you want to use braid for dipsies. mono just has to much stretch for tripping a diver. most people use 30# power pro for running dipsies with a 6' to 8' fluro leader. i use 20# seaguar premier leader. when spooling braid i use 150' of 17# mono as backer on my sg17lca reels then 300' of braid. never use mono for divers it just wont work. always use a mono backing for braid. if you don't use a mono backing you'll have a problem with the line slipping on the spool. you can use 30# braid for boards and divers. no need to have reels spooled with mono and reels spooled with braid. also braid will last for yrs. I've been running the same braid for over 10 yrs. mono should be replaced at least every yr.