16' Deep Vee not enough? 16' Deep Vee not enough? 16' Deep Vee not enough? 16' Deep Vee not enough?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 16' Deep Vee not enough?

Well just like the title says, I've got a 16' Deep Vee Sylvan that I'm worried won't be enough boat to troll with out on the big lake. Obviously I would pay attention to any inclement weather that may roll in, but with Erie's reputation for rough weather popping up out of no where, I'm leery about taking my boat out even on a calm day. It's got a 90 Horse Merc on the back of it, and I've had it in 4 footers before and it handled em fine. I guess I'm looking for input from guys that have smaller boats as well that fish the lake. Take it or stay home?

All of my walleye fishing is done out of a friends big boat although I do have a 17.5 footer that I generally bring up once or twice a year, but I mainly bass and perch fish out of it because it is not set up to troll walleye with. I pay close attention to what is going on and the first sign of trouble I head for the dock. I also don't venture to far either, mainly the island area.
    If you and your boat can handle four footers and you feel comfortable and safe then there is a lot of fishable days for you on the lake.

I don't think I would recommend making the run out to Niagara in that small of a rig. I would recommend maybe launching out of catawba or West harbor and fishing the starve island /Scott point shoal area. There's lots of fish to be had around the islands this time of year without you having to be more than a couple of miles from the safety of land.

I fished the western basin for a few yrs in a 16' glass deep v and did just fine. we picked our days and watched the weather. we fished out of coolie canal and fished around west sister island. it was a 9 mile run to the island so we was never more than 5 miles away from land.

if you've been in 4' waves and handled them then most days your going to be ok in the western basin. just pick your days and don't go out in anything over 2 to 3 footers.

I have a 16' deep v with a 40hp tiller and if you watch the weather and pic your days, it can be done. Especially in the early season, 4 mi run is usually max. Once the water is warmer and into summer months, I'll venture further. I set it up for Trolling last year and the only complaint I would have is boat control with two bags out to slow me down to 1 mph or less. The worst part is that the boat will handle some chop but it's alum and beats the crap out of you and the boat.

My grandfather had a 16' lyman with a 50HP Evinrude with a 5 hp back-up that I started going out with him and my dad when I was about 5 years old. We fished all the way out to West Sister many days. My grandfather can't swim and he is 95 years old currently, so we all made it back each and every time.

Having said that, I look back and wonder what he and my father were thinking taking a 5 year old out in a 16'er that far... But also it can be done if you are very cautious and watch the weather.

I would recommend that you only consider it though when the water temp is warm enough to survive in the water for at least overnight. Being out right now can be very lonely and deadly if something happens. Make sure that you have a radio and if you go out try to find other boats in view.

-Matt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by belden148 View Post
    Well just like the title says, I've got a 16' Deep Vee Sylvan that I'm worried won't be enough boat to troll with out on the big lake. Obviously I would pay attention to any inclement weather that may roll in, but with Erie's reputation for rough weather popping up out of no where, I'm leery about taking my boat out even on a calm day. It's got a 90 Horse Merc on the back of it, and I've had it in 4 footers before and it handled em fine. I guess I'm looking for input from guys that have smaller boats as well that fish the lake. Take it or stay home?
    If you have the $$, check out Catawba area to ferry your boat over and you'll be able to fish near the Islands. Able to be closer to deeper water and land too. Or you may want to try to find access out of Sandusky and head towards Kelly's then on to the other Islands.

Quote Originally Posted by belden148 View Post
    I have two deep V boats I use. One is a Sylvan 16 PSO. With 90 HP Evinrude and a !5 hp kicker. 4 footers are about all I want in it, but it handles them well. You just can't put the hammer down in that rough of water to get to safety quickly.. I worry more about falling overboard when on the front deck with that much rockin and rollin. I fished out of it last Wednesday and it handled the rough East wind fine for about a 7 mile trip back. Watch the weather and wind. Even the big boys have to do this. Stormy weather I stay close.

Kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
    I fished out of it last Wednesday and it handled the rough East wind fine for about a 7 mile trip back. Watch the weather and wind. Even the big boys have to do this.
    Kent
    Do you recall what that wind was? Looking ahead, there is some East to NE wind in the 8-10 range. Understand it can change, but does it usually get ugly at about 15, from that direction, jigging the reef area? Understanding one person's ugly is a lot different than another's.

Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
    Do you recall what that wind was? Looking ahead, there is some East to NE wind in the 8-10 range. Understand it can change, but does it usually get ugly at about 15, from that direction, jigging the reef area? Understanding one person's ugly is a lot different than another's.
    Well, I cannot remember for sure but I'm thinking 10-20 knots. It got to rough for me to enjoy. I took a face full of water multiple times heading back to Catabwa, but that I enjoyed!!lol

The weather and wind forecasts changed about 3 times in 24 hours between Tuesday and Wednesday. It was windy at dawn but it was W-SW and maybe 1.5- 2 footers. way more than that by noon.

Kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium