Trolling Line ? Trolling Line ? Trolling Line ? Trolling Line ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Line ?

Default Trolling Line ?

First of all I would like to say thank you to all that reply or put information on this site, it's an awesome place. My question is that I am getting some equipment ready for walleye trolling and would like to know your choice for line. Any help is deeply appreciated. Thanks

mono or braid line will work for trolling. I use mono for flatlining but have used braid and I cant say one works better than the other. but using braid gets cranks deeper than the same lb test mono. and for fishing dipsy type divers braid is a must have. mono just has so much stretch its hard to get the diver to trip. I use the lite bite slide diver but don't use the slide part of the diver. I use them for the lite bite feature on them. I use power pro braid for my main line then use a short piece of line on the back of the diver then my rubber snubber then a 6' to 9' fluro leader.

I use 30 lb Power pro

I use 12 and 15 lb. Berkeley big game. The superlines will work but if your using in line boards you could have problems with the line clips not holding. Superlines tend to be very slick.

30# PowerPro as the main line, 20# mono leaders. I switched to yellow PowerPro a few years ago, making it easier to see the line further from the boat. Sometimes we're pulling 16 or 18 baits at once. I was hesitant at first about the yellow, but have noticed absolutely no difference in our catch rate - the fish don't care about the yellow line!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ErieEye View Post
    I use 12 and 15 lb. Berkeley big game. The superlines will work but if your using in line boards you could have problems with the line clips not holding. Superlines tend to be very slick.
    I use 30# in either Jerry Brown or Western Filament Tuf-Line XP, in all different colors and they seem to be more round than Power Pro. I don't care for the Power Pro as I feel it is to flat and allows it to bury itself into the spool much easier but that is only my opinion. Beyond that there is nothing wrong with it and it is a very good line.

I have never had a problem with the Church Tackle Super Clips, they are made for the super braids and can be used with all lines. They are the best clip out there that does not feature a locking mechanism. Best buy also as they are marketed in packages of 2 Super Clips for around $16.00. There are some who use them on their Off Shore boards as well, maybe they will chime in.

http://www.churchtackle.com/#!clips/cq2g

http://www.xtackle.com/church-tackle...uper-clip.aspx
    Last edited by wakina; 03-22-2016 at 09:57 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I use 30lb. Test power pro with a 15 lb. Test flouro leader tied with a uni knot. I use this set up on my trolling rods, this way I can use them for walleyes and when the steelhead start showing up I use the same rods on my downriggers. I also use 30 lb. Test power pro to my dipseys followed by a 12" snubber and 8' flouro leader. 30lb. Power pro on leadcore and 50lb. Power pro for my salmon dipseys. Never had any issues. I prefer the uni knot, less tackle and less knots and very strong.

I switched from braid to running #17 mono. All personal preference/experience. He is a place to look for line.
    https://www.ffo-tackle.com/ProductDi...cfm?Show=Lines
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

I use 30 lb power pro but I use the new style slick 8. It is a huge improvement over the original style.

I would like to know about how much usable line is needed. Or put another way how much backer line vs feet of braided. I mostly fish west and central Erie. I think I have only 200ft of braided down to the filler and was worried this wasn't enough.....Thanks