Walleye fishing from a small boat, INSIGHT NEEDED Walleye fishing from a small boat, INSIGHT NEEDED Walleye fishing from a small boat, INSIGHT NEEDED Walleye fishing from a small boat, INSIGHT NEEDED
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a small v that I fished lake Erie and Michigan for years, now I have a bigger lake Erie boat. I wish I kept my smaller boat. My smaller boat rode on top of the waves where my bigger one crashes them. Been caught in bad wave and weather in my small boat a few times and altho I had to go slow I rode the waves and felt safe doing so. I am not convince that I am safer in this bigger boat. And big boat or small the weather needs to be good to fish. I know this post does not answer your questions but I just wanted to say small boats have some advantages in waves.

Post Thanks / Like

You all have provided some very good insight. I have a few years Coast Guard experience and know all too well the dangers that open water brings, especially Lake Erie. This is exactly why I am trying to get as prepared as I can before launching. We planned to come up 2 times now, only to cancel due to changing weather conditions. I see that Tuesday and Wednesday may bring a South wind and provide the most favorable conditions near the Toledo area. Is that the case? Also, I am still trying to figure out what is my best option for tactics, a slow troll or jigging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Try both

Quote Originally Posted by WalleyeRookie View Post
    You all have provided some very good insight. I have a few years Coast Guard experience and know all too well the dangers that open water brings, especially Lake Erie. This is exactly why I am trying to get as prepared as I can before launching. We planned to come up 2 times now, only to cancel due to changing weather conditions. I see that Tuesday and Wednesday may bring a South wind and provide the most favorable conditions near the Toledo area. Is that the case? Also, I am still trying to figure out what is my best option for tactics, a slow troll or jigging.
    Try both and if they don't produce try anchoring and do some perching(?). If winds are very light just drift and watch your sonar, if nothing is going on, make a move and listen to what others are saying on ch. 79 or other channels. Look for a pack of boats and watch what they're doing. Sometimes the Headboats can be a "guide" of sorts. One leaves out of Sandusky at 9 AM. The others leave P.C. around 8. You might want to consider a Walk-on some weekday, (usually less crowded), to get some idea of what they do and from there you can watch what the other boaters are up to. The rates vary so check out their sites. Ask the Captain and the Mates for their advice.
    Last, on line is Wunderground weather, 10 day forecast, wind speed/directions, barometer, precipitation% and temperatures. Like most of the rest, not always accurate but still helpful.