Wire former Wire former Wire former Wire former
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wire former

Default Wire former

This is the wire former that I settled on, it is Little pricey but has paid for itself with saved components and fewer doctors visits due to hook wounds.
    A pool noodle is one of those colorful foam cylinders that kids use in the pool to help them float they are about 4 ft long and 3" around and when cut down to a manageable size are used to wrap the traditional worm harnesses around. The hooks still remain exposed and youngsters seem to always find them once they penetrate their fingers. Just the nature of kids and exposed hooks I guess. Anyhow this type of harness does solve the problem, and they are so much easier to store.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wire-fo...ls/421150.aspx
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

So just to verify what you use this for, I think I have it straight but correct me if I'm wrong.

You make your harness patterns by adding your beads and blades to a wire which you bend with this tool. You tie your snells with cable and attach them as needed to your harnesses. You really only need to replace your snells, since the harnesses are only connected to the hook by the snap swivel?

I'm seriously interested in this system. I love making harnesses, but I hate it when I HAVE to make them because everything I have was mangled by sheep or white bass. I'd love to just snell my hooks and tie my harnesses once.

Also, I love not needing to mess with leaders. Ever since switching to cable I haven't had to replace a leader and that's been a major time saver.

Any advice on what size cable and wire?

Thanks,.,,
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

This is the type of wire that I use, but not necessarily from Jann's. It is available from several outlets in different guage size. You can also use the straight wire with no bends and do both ends, it does save a little money. I would not recommend going any smaller in diameter than the .030 as any thing smaller is almost to flimsy or any size larger than .035 or .036 as it is to hard to make clean twisted closed ends. Just put your beads and blade on just like using a mono/flouro leader. They will get beat up but you can continue to use them so long as the blade still spins freely with out worrying about break offs.

Here is a link to show you what the wire form looks like.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wire-lu...ts/320608.aspx

Here is the link to the coated wire cable for the hook snells. I use red or black.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/afw-lea...re/311667.aspx

I just use a small snap to attach the snells to the wire form.

Disclaimer: I am in no way advocating you should get your supplies from Jann's although they are available there and are a reputable business. I only posted the sites as reference to show pictures of what I use.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Thanks Wakina,,, I shop all around I appreciate the info. More stuff to buy now
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Can you guys enlighten a novice? I'm a little dense as well. How does the wire system replace traditional crawler harnesses? Do you have any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by bdrieck View Post
    Can you guys enlighten a novice? I'm a little dense as well. How does the wire system replace traditional crawler harnesses? Do you have any pictures?
    Here you go some pictures of harness on wire forms, all of these have caught fish. The one on the bottom has the snell attached. The best fish catchers have the large diamond shaped ruby red acrylic/Plastic bead I only wish I could get that bead in orange.

Just attach to your diver or inline wt with a regular leader of what ever length that you want. When you change out the harness or go to a spoon simply take the harness/spoon off and replace with the new bait using the already attached separate leader. It makes it easier/faster to switch from one bait to another.

NOTE: There are 3 components below the diver/wt, a separate leader, the wire form harness blade bead assembly and the removable/replaceable hook snell. Thus no pool noodles for harness storage.

Wire former-worm-harness-jpg
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Blog Entries

Two seasons ago I had reached out to Wakina regarding the wire form harnesses he makes. Through a lot of schooling and help from him I made several and continue to do so. I have found this rig to be very productive during the crawler season. I would
    also like to add that Wakina went out of his way to help me with this setup. To date I have never met Wakina but I'm very thankful for men like him.

Kevin
    Fish Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    Two seasons ago I had reached out to Wakina regarding the wire form harnesses he makes. Through a lot of schooling and help from him I made several and continue to do so. I have found this rig to be very productive during the crawler season. I would
    also like to add that Wakina went out of his way to help me with this setup. To date I have never met Wakina but I'm very thankful for men like him.

Kevin
    Fish Tales

LOL, I have eliminated the use of all the glass beads though for new harnesses, that sure was a poor choice on my part for components. I still have a few assembled harnesses with the glass beads but once they are gone I will never again use them(glass beads) as they are just to fragile. I do save all of the blades though when I cut the wire, I even save the clevises.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

I guess the secret is out!! I have been using this very system for the past 3 seasons. Works like a charm. Only difference is that I tie my snells with 14 lb fluoro. I keep all the componants in a large Plano box no snarls or tangles...great system.

HYPO