Wire former Wire former Wire former Wire former
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wire former

Post Thanks / Like

It is nice to have people out there who let out their tricks of the trade.

I have my new former coming on UPS I didn't think that was to unreasonable of a price for what all it can do.

Thanks,

Kent

Kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Post Thanks / Like

It is nice. In fact, I got the idea from a similar thread on this forum three years ago. One of the charter captains posted this system, I tried it and liked it. Actually a simple but brilliant solution to a vexing problem. Now I may again modify my approach by trying the cable snells that Wakina uses. This a great forum.

HYPO

Post Thanks / Like

HYPO,

I am with you there. I'm not sure on the cable what knots to use and stuff.. I do not mind making the snells from mono. I guess the cable method will certainly last longer and be stronger and if by chance a musky or big northern gave it a wack it would give some more strength too.

PPDR
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. that is awesome. I am tired of winding the harness leaders and taking up a bunch of space. not to mention the hooks. LOL. I can't agree with you guys more.. Wakina you are the bomb. thank you for all of your posts and willingness to share information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdrieck View Post
    Wow. that is awesome. I am tired of winding the harness leaders and taking up a bunch of space. not to mention the hooks. LOL. I can't agree with you guys more.. Wakina you are the bomb. thank you for all of your posts and willingness to share information.
    I prefer 14# or 17# coated wire in red or black but lately those 2 wt's. have been hard to come by. I have used mono and fluorocarbon but have found the coated wire to be more durable in the shorter lengths as it does not seem to be able to kink as much and is pretty much tooth and gill cover proof.

I use a regular Snell knot for the hook closest to the blade and sometimes just use a crimping sleeve for the last hook on the business end. To make it even simpler and to get that hook as close to the blade bead assembly as possible I attach the hook Snell with a crimp on sleeve while making the blade bead assembly at home. I do keep extra Snell's made up with the snap for a quick change over while on the water in case a hook bends or breaks.

This method does make a nice neat little package for storage on board. To date I have not lost a bead or blade due to breakage or a weak link in the system. I also use Fire-line Crystal in 20# test for my leaders with a stainless steel ball bearing snap swivel and stainless steel ball Bearing swivel on the ends of my leaders, and no it does not seem to spook the fish.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip