Looking for advice on a Lund 1800 Fisherman ITS Looking for advice on a Lund 1800 Fisherman ITS Looking for advice on a Lund 1800 Fisherman ITS Looking for advice on a Lund 1800 Fisherman ITS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for advice on a Lund 1800 Fisherman ITS

I'm doing a bit of research for my father on a used boat that would allow us to fish onto Lake Erie. We have a little bit of experience with the lake, but are mostly looking for a boat that will allow us to fish it on the good days. We would probably only make 5-10 trips a year on the lake at the most. We are about 2 hours away and also do some fishing on inland lakes. We have found a 2000 Lund 1800 Fisherman ITS 18'-6" boat with a 95" beam. It has a 190 hp 4.3 L Mercruiser. The boat is priced right and from the bit of research I have done I think it should be able to handle Erie with a good amount of common sense. The price is right and it's already setup with a kicker etc... I thought before we pull the trigger on something like this I would get the opinion of the pro's on this site. Any feedback is appreciated.

I have an 1800 with a 150 ob. We spend about 2 weeks a year fishing the island area and usually with 4 people, pull the trigger

I have a 1700… the 1800 would be nice with the extra foot in the back area. I fish Lake Michigan by me, and as long as I a m smart on timing, never had anything but confidence in the boat. That extra length will go a long ways to making it more comfortable with more than two people. I used the Lund track system for rod holders to start, then went to a Traxis system to get the long rod ends out of the boat and walk areas. Having that done alone helped as well. The fisherman is nice and deep… I love mine.

I have a 20' fisherman and have no issues on erie. I am three hours away and it trailers with no problem. Only downside with the ITS model is the loss of room in rear for the inboard but still an awesome boat.

Thanks for the replies so far. Is the loss of room the only downside to an Inboard motor? I only have experience with outboards. Are they anymore or less trouble to work on? I would assume they may be less maintenance then a 2-stroke outboard?

Tater --

I have an 18' Deep Vee Polar Kraft (SC model) that has a similar hull to the Fisherman. A friend of mine has the 1800 Fisherman and we measured hulls one day and dimensionally they are very similar in terms of depth, width, and length. I live in Maumee, OH and fish Lake Erie a ton and do not have problems on most days with my boat, so with a Lund, I'm sure you'll have no problems either. Obviously, there are limits, but for most fishing where an SCA isn't posted, you'll be fine.

A note on the motor, though. Besides space, I believe that inboards have a more rigorous winterization routine and are more prone to block freeze damage. If you're like me, I'm pushing the limits each year with getting out early and fishing late into the season. In fact, I've lost count as to the number of trailer tail lights I've had to replace due to breaking ice at the ramp. With outboards, they are very easy to drain the water. I ***THINK*** (but don't know for sure) that inboards and I/O's won't drain soley by gravity and therefore you may have to be more cautious about when you end your season and how early you start. Some of the big guys (charter boat captains, big boat owners, etc...) who have I/O's or Inboards can probably give you more info on what they do.
    18' Polar Kraft SC
    90 HP Yamaha 4 Stroke
    Minn Kota 70# i-Pilot
    Lowrance HDS 8 GenII
    Lowrance HDS 7 Touch

Tater I have had two 17' fishermen my 03 got knocked off my trailer and wrecked I bought a 06 to replace it both boats came apart on lake erie.If it has welded drain plug for the front live well on the bow CHECK it my 03 split there.My 06 split a 3' section of seem filled with water in November scared crap out of me.Got rid of 06 last year and bought a glass boat.

I had to replace the floor on my 99 Lund,something you may want to check on this boat

I'm no expert but I have a V6 Mercruiser I/O and it has 4 block drains and I can drain the block and disconnect two hoses (that are on top and easy to get to) to dump a little non toxic anti freeze down the thermo housing and in less than 15 minutes we are good. I did it twice this year back in Jan. or Feb.

Simplicity of Winterizing should not be a deciding factor IMO.
    Dave(snothere)
    2352 Trophy Hardtop WA
    Channel Grove Marina
    Sammy the Lucky Golden

Be sure to ck the transom for rot !!