Advice on sonar units Advice on sonar units Advice on sonar units Advice on sonar units
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on sonar units

Ok guys I am looking to buy a new sonar unit but don't want to spend thousands of dollars for one. I don't know that I need one that fancy. Looking to spend less than $700.00. Any recommendations. Basically want to be able to mark fish, be able to mark hot spots so I can return to them and be able to mark drift and trolling patterns so I can repeat. Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by indyfisher View Post
    Ok guys I am looking to buy a new sonar unit but don't want to spend thousands of dollars for one. I don't know that I need one that fancy. Looking to spend less than $700.00. Any recommendations. Basically want to be able to mark fish, be able to mark hot spots so I can return to them and be able to mark drift and trolling patterns so I can repeat. Any help is appreciated.
    You can probably pick up a Humminbird 898 HD, SI series now for around $900.00 new perhaps less. It will Have down imaging, switchfire, side imaging, a Navonics program, GPS, 7 inch screen and will do all that you mentioned. There are cheaper ones but the screens start getting much smaller which in my opinion make things a bit harder to use. Especially if you want to jig using switch-fire which is the cats ---- ( pajamas) in my book.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Post Thanks / Like

For that money I like the Raymarine pro 5 or 7. But my boat is only used on Erie so I did not need side scan. I'm just starting to use the new sonar so I can't give more info, but so far I like it. Seems picking up perch on the bottom will be much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

I use side imaging on Erie a lot. It is especially useful to help find any form of structure especially around the islands when fishing for small mouth. The one I use shows 180 ft. on each side from top to bottom. I takes some time to figure out how to read it but it finds contours, bait fish, and fish. It probably is not to helpful if you mainly plan on trolling or perch fishing, but I like casting, mayfly rigs, crank baits, and dropshotting mostly.

Kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Post Thanks / Like

Cabelas has the hds 7 touch with hdi transducer for 749.00 with $100 rebate and $100 cabelas cash so that's only $549.00 for a great unit. I have the hds 9 and love it!