Line counter reels Line counter reels Line counter reels Line counter reels
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Eyes View Post
    I only troll 4 rods at a time out of my boat as I only have an 18' Polar Kraft, anything more starts to border on a Cluster.... So I rotate my equipment. In addition, I only get out to the Big Lake a couple dozen times per year for trolling due to job, kids, smallmouth bass in N. Michigan, etc... . If I were a full time pro or a charter captain, I'd definitely go with upgraded equipment.

Therein it says it all!

You rotate your equipment so none of it gets used all the time, fewer trips also means even less use per setup so it lasts much longer without issues and at a much reduced cost! Each outfit cost less than a stand alone reel purchase of higher quality and that is without the cost of a rod. It leaves more fun money available for other more pertinent equipment such as cranks if you use them, more harness components and or more spoons if you use those as well as divers and wts.

A very good use of resources for the amount and type of fishing you do. Good advice on, if you fish allot more then upgraded equipment might be the best investment. So newbies and part timers take note this man has it together.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    .....this man has it together.
    Not sure about that, more like the consummate cheap @zz, but thanks for the compliment.

I swung through Cabelas this evening on the way home. There was one Cabela's Depthmaster reel in the bargain cave for $18.50 labeled as a return. It had a few scuffs on it, but otherwise worked fine. There were two Diawa line counters marked down $20 to about $87 and one Okuma counter, but I forgot what the price was. I didn't see any trolling rods in the cave, but the Depthmaster rods in the fishing dept were all between $42-$46.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Eyes View Post
    Not sure about that, more like the consummate cheap @zz, but thanks for the compliment.

I swung through Cabelas this evening on the way home. There was one Cabela's Depthmaster reel in the bargain cave for $18.50 labeled as a return. It had a few scuffs on it, but otherwise worked fine. There were two Diawa line counters marked down $20 to about $87 and one Okuma counter, but I forgot what the price was. I didn't see any trolling rods in the cave, but the Depthmaster rods in the fishing dept were all between $42-$46.

Polar Eyes

I call it like I see it!

Believe it or not you gave some very good advice for those who don't get a chance to fish the big lake as often as other people do. The idea here is to get out on the water no matter where it may be and have fun, success is measured not in what you use to have fun with but being thankful for the opportunity to have that successful outdoor experience. I am sure the fish do not have any idea that they were caught with a $25.00 reel or a $175.00 reel. I also know who ever catches their limit could care less how much that reel actually cost, it is about the fun and experience.

I am trying to say that no one should ever be ashamed to use what ever fits their circumstances, be it budget, preference or needs. I know fishermen that have to have the best of everything just to keep up with the Kardashians. It does not make them better fishermen or more successful and they do not have any more fun than the next guy. What puts fish in the cooler is experience combined with some luck while having fun!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Polar Eyes

I am trying to say that no one should ever be ashamed to use what ever fits their circumstances, be it budget, preference or needs. I know fishermen that have to have the best of everything just to keep up with the Kardashians. It does not make them better fishermen or more successful and they do not have any more fun than the next guy. What puts fish in the cooler is experience combined with some luck while having fun!
    My name is Matt, and I still have a couple MagdaPros on $30 6.5" MH Ugly Stiks 1101.... Sigh. That feels better! Thanks Wakina!

Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
    Matt,
    You are right about the Convector's being better. It sounds like you have a lot of rods to keep filled. I do not troll very much when by myself or with a couple of my die hard fishing buddies, but when I take some out who do not fish to much or just want to get some fish to eat you can't beat it. I know it takes a lot of skill to be good at trolling and know how it all works together. I use a lot nicer reels for baitcasting and spinning. That would get pretty pricey filling 18 rods with $300.00 reels.

Kent
    It took me 3 years to switch all the reels, and I must admit that the last 4 I bought used from a charter captain that was switching out Convectors for Okuma Coldwaters. I keep that many rods so when I tangle one side of the boat I can bring the line in the boat, cut it off, put those rods in the rocket launchers, and put the new ones out... lol. I can't troll 18 rods... well, I "can" but I might as well just go buy a 1,500yd spool of PowerPro 30 and throw it away!

-Matt

Oh i didnt figure you trolled that many. What you do makes perfect sence. Get a mess sometimes its much easier to just pull them in and send out another. You can fix it later.

HMMM, Kinda like, " I only use the fine china when we have company " syndrome !!