Line counter reels Line counter reels Line counter reels Line counter reels
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been told that Okuma makes/made Cabelas line counter reels. True/false ???? They look an awful lot alike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyfarms View Post
    I have been told that Okuma makes/made Cabelas line counter reels. True/false ???? They look an awful lot alike.
    Just like you I have heard the same thing! They remind me of the Magda Pro line of Okuma reels. I know that at one time they did not repair them if they went bad, but replaced them if they were still under warranty. I stayed away from them years ago when I first bought line counter reels. My first set of line counters were none other than the Magda Pro's. I used them for a few seasons and upgraded to the Convectors, there is no comparison between the 2. Daiwa makes several models of the Cabelas brand spinning reels and they all seem to be an excellent product for the money. So with that being said we still don't know any more than when we started.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    So with that being said we still don't know any more than when we started.

Story of my life. Cool thing is as fast as we forget things… and discover what we don't know, we can learn it all over again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    Pimple Pounder, I have a few Magda pros in my mix as well... I started with the Magda pros and then started slowly switching to Convectors. They are both good reels. However, when you have been reeling in on Convectors all day, and then grab the rod with that Magda Pro it is night and day difference and you notice right away. I finally bought enough Convectors to get all 18 rods switched over and use the Magda Pros as backup. I like both of them.

-Matt
    Matt,
    You are right about the Convector's being better. It sounds like you have a lot of rods to keep filled. I do not troll very much when by myself or with a couple of my die hard fishing buddies, but when I take some out who do not fish to much or just want to get some fish to eat you can't beat it. I know it takes a lot of skill to be good at trolling and know how it all works together. I use a lot nicer reels for baitcasting and spinning. That would get pretty pricey filling 18 rods with $300.00 reels.

Kent
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 03-01-2016 at 11:18 PM.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Post Thanks / Like

Okuma 303D reels. End of story

Post Thanks / Like

I use the daiwa accudepth plus adp17lc reels and the okuma convector 20lc reels and I have nothing bad to say about either reel. but I did replace the paddle handles on the daiwa reels with the power handles. the convectors I bought came with both handles. but either reel is below 100.00. I also have the daiwa sealine sg17lca reels and they've been bullet proof.

Post Thanks / Like

I have all Daiwa line counters 2 old black sides 4 accu depth silver 27- 6 47sl line counters never had any problems some are at least 14 yrs old. I use US cal 1102 and cal1100 m for everything, when the Ugly Stik cal series was being discontinued I bought 6 for $21.99@from Shakespeares site.I would buy Daiwa accu depth 27lc again I don't know anything about the others.

Post Thanks / Like

Diawa used to make the Cabelas depthmasters. Had both and they are the same. Diawa Sealines are better

Post Thanks / Like

My two cents:
    I have purchased several Pinnacle set-ups from Cabela's. Both spinning and bait caster, also fish eagle rods which I liked. From looking at them and comparing them I could tell they the reels were Diawa products with slight variations. Upon a year or so though I would find that Cabela's would no longer support parts for the reels, and I also found that they were slightly different than model numbers that Diawa offered so the parts were not quite the same either. It made it difficult to know if you were getting the part you needed for sure. It happened to me enough that I will not buy another Cabela's named reel ever again. They are priced pretty good from the start, but after the series warranty is gone my experience is you will be buying another one because of a spring, screw, bushing, etc. is "No longer available" If you look at Diawa brand equipment most of their items are supported in parts much longer.

Kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Post Thanks / Like

All of my trolling rods are Cabela's Brand with Cabela's Depthmaster Reels. I have 6 sets, 5 with mono/fluorocarbon and one with leadcore. I also have 3 spare reels ready to go. I bought all nine reels in the Bargain Cave in Dundee over the years. I've only had one crap out (its one of the three "spares") I keep it around for parts. I've had to fix a few now and again, but with all 9 reels, I've never paid over $25 for a single reel. For the rods, in some cases, I bought the combo in the cave, but most cases, I've bought the rods separate. Usually about once or twice per year, the cabelas depthmaster rods go on sale and that's when I've grabbed them.

I only troll 4 rods at a time out of my boat as I only have an 18' Polar Kraft, anything more starts to border on a Cluster.... So I rotate my equipment. In addition, I only get out to the Big Lake a couple dozen times per year for trolling due to job, kids, smallmouth bass in N. Michigan, etc... . If I were a full time pro or a charter captain, I'd definitely go with upgraded equipment.
    Last edited by Polar Eyes; 03-04-2016 at 10:47 AM.