CHIRP Downvision technology CHIRP Downvision technology CHIRP Downvision technology CHIRP Downvision technology

Default CHIRP Downvision technology

I'm thinking about upgrading to Chirp Downvision and am on the fence in regards to my decision. I currently have a Raymarine c97 which can be upgraded with added components. My question is....How much better is the resolution and the quality of the returns ? Anyone out there with Chirp please chime in and help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by rodnut View Post
    I'm thinking about upgrading to Chirp Downvision and am on the fence in regards to my decision. I currently have a Raymarine c97 which can be upgraded with added components. My question is....How much better is the resolution and the quality of the returns ? Anyone out there with Chirp please chime in and help me out.
    I have a Ray Marine Dragon Fly 7 and love it. I run it beside my HDS 5. There is no comparison in picture quality and brightness between the 2 units. The DF 7 marks well at speed and does a fantastic job on fish on the bottom. I ran it in the split screen mode and learned to read the down vision by comparing the 2. I use the chirp sonar most of the time and switch to down vision to check out objects on the bottom as the down vision shows those objects in much better detail. Everyone who fished with me could not believe the difference between the 2 units as they were operating side by side while trolling, even perch fishing they would comment on how much easier it was to see the fish on the bottom with the DF 7 than with the HDS unit.

I have to say the resolution and the quality of the returns is much better with allot less screen noise/interference with DF 7 than the HDS. The resolution and the quality of the returns depends not only on the signals sent and returned but also on the capability of the head unit to utilize those higher quality signals.

Please note that this is only my opinion and that I have only related to you my own personal experience with this technology.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thanks Wakina. I've decided to the upgrade in the spring. I presently have a bronze through-hull transducer which will have to be changed. I'd like to go with a transom mount because of the cost difference. Do you know what the performance differance,if any between the two really is? My boat is an I/O 330.

I use the transom mount for the same reason, but cannot say if the thru the hull model would be a better option. The transom mount transducer is rather large for my DF 7, 10 inches long and about 3 inches wide.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Just ordered all the conversion stuff from GPS Store. Decided to go with the thru-hull again. Thanks for all the help Wakina!!