Planer Board Line? Planer Board Line? Planer Board Line? Planer Board Line?

Default Planer Board Line?

I'm setting up a new boat for trolling big boards and was wondering what type and how much planer board line to use. Do I need more than 200' off of each side and is 135# test enough to handle triple boards?

Edit: Also interested to get opinions on which clips to use and if it'll be cheaper to buy them online or somewhere around the lake. We stay in Oak Harbor when we're up there, but I don't mind making a trip anywhere from Toledo to Sandusky if it means I'm not paying $20 a dozen for clips.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by Hoytman86; 02-14-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Buy the SPECTRA PLANER BOARD LINE super braid in either 500 or 800 lb test sold by Amish Outfitters and is available thru the Walleye Tackle store on this site. It will save you allot of head aches with broken tow line and lost releases. Might want to add the AMISH OUTFITTERS PLANER BOARD SHOCKERS also to help absorb the shock from the waves. With the cost of a couple of dozen releases on the line a broken tow line allows those releases to take the deep six and are lost forever. Remember the fuller your reel is the fewer turns on the planer reel crank it takes to retrieve those big heavy boards.

http://www.walleyetacklestore.com/tr...laner-systems/
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thanks Wakina! I've already got the snubbers in the cart. I've been trying to figure out if the Amish Outfitters line was a must, but from what I've been able to find online, it's more than worth the extra cost due to not needing to change it very often.

Is 200' enough? I'm installing electric reels, so if the only benefit of going to 300' of line is saving your shoulders, I may put that extra money towards 2 dozen more clips.
    Last edited by Hoytman86; 02-14-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman86 View Post
    Thanks Wakina! I've already got the snubbers in the cart. I've been trying to figure out if the Amish Outfitters line was a must, but from what I've been able to find online, it's more than worth the extra cost due to not needing to change it very often.

Is 200' enough? I'm installing electric reels, so if the only benefit of going to 300' of line is saving your shoulders, I may put that extra money towards 2 dozen more clips.
    200 ft on each side will give you a spread of 300 to 350 feet and still leave a few raps of line on the reels so the towing pressure is not put directly on the attachment points. For me that would be way more than enough, but that is only my opinion and what my maximum distance from the boat would be. My friends also use a wrap or 2 of electrical tape on the empty reel spool it will help with the line slippage super braid is noted for giving it something to bite into giving it a grip on the reel spool.

Some guys use different colored sharpies to mark the line at 50(?) foot intervals so they know approximately how much line is out and how much is still left on the reels. The different colors lets you know with just a glance where you are at in amount of line out and amount left on the reel.
    Last edited by wakina; 02-14-2016 at 10:13 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip