Spring Jiggin Help? Spring Jiggin Help? Spring Jiggin Help? Spring Jiggin Help?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spring Jiggin Help?

Hey gang,
    This will be my first year with a boat for the spring jig. Any tips or tricks for getting out? Areas to try? Tackle/rig setup? When is a good time to start going after em?

Thanks for any info.

Mike
    -2014 Tahoe Q5SF named "Fish-N-Tails"
    Tight Lines!

Post Thanks / Like

Default spring jig

Quote Originally Posted by fishNtails View Post
    Hey gang,
    This will be my first year with a boat for the spring jig. Any tips or tricks for getting out? Areas to try? Tackle/rig setup? When is a good time to start going after em?

Thanks for any info.

Mike
    Mike
    I troll but I do it early when all the jigging is going on and a great place is the reefs near Port clinton,firing range area,any good map will show the reefs,you will see many boats so the areas that are producing will be invaded by jiggers,Personally i get away from the crowd I fish alone and Always find fish and find many times i do better than the crowd.By trolling i get out as early as possible and get a few of the trophy females on reef runners before they leave,the males stay around a long time but the big females are there and gone pretty fast.I find that when i get them they are already spawned out and usually hanging in deeper water near the reefs,as far as males i limited e very time out last year ,took along time last year for the ice to clear so the females were pretty much past there time.I go out of turtle creek,any good bait shop there will give you the best most acurate info,they do there best and want you to catch fish as far as other fisherman well they are fisherman .
    Tom Good luck and you will be pleasanly suprised if you get out there and learn how to get them,best walleye fishing probably in the world-thanks Ohio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishNtails View Post
    Hey gang,

Thanks for any info.

Mike
    Here is a thread that was posted not to long ago that will answer some of your questions. If you have more specific questions in mind just post them and you will be rewarded with the answers that you seek!

http://community.walleye.com/showthr...ng-for-jigging
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Thay was definitely a good read. I see that hair jigs are the go to lure. Is there a brand? Does bass pro sell any? I have a gift card to use up 😉

Post Thanks / Like

I have not jig fished for a while,but I do not remember name of any particular brand of hair jig.Almost all the bait and tackle stores around port Clinton sell the hair jigs.I would buy the jigs then instead of buying through a catalog.Weight of 5/8-1oz work best and favorite colors were green and purple.Some came with a small stinger treble.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents. Do not buy jigs till you get to the lake or buy them from Rscott on here. I bought a lot of jigs before I went up the first time and went on a head boat. Everyone around me was catching fish except our group. Part of that reason is we all had medium heavy rods and another part was technique and finally we figured out maybe they don't like our jigs. We had a round headed hair jig in all the same colors everyone was using and they wouldnt touch it. They use like a football head jig and they are use to seeing the stuff from up there. Save your money.

Post Thanks / Like

Spring Jiggin Help?-0217162041-jpg a few jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Spring Jiggin Help?-0217162041a-jpg a few jigs

Post Thanks / Like

fishNtails... we always fish around the reefs in the spring just like everyone else.. only advice I can give as to that is get out early before the crowd runs them all off of the area you are tryin to fish. once the crowds start to get gathered up try to find and area with fewer boats. next trick we found is start off the reef drift up and over to the other side and find out which side of the reef the fish are sittin on and mark em when you get into them so u can drift back over that spot.. another thing I do that I believe helps that im not sure most other guys do or not is - once you feel you are at the end of your drift don't just turn the boat right back onto the same line you just drifted with shallower water on the reefs I feel that the fish might be spooked off your drift line and the next drift they wont be there... instead make a little loop around your drift line and the fish should still be there when you get back through there.... also i feel that drift bags are very important... if you are moving to fast it makes it harder to catch em.. another thing I do if you cant get em vertical jigging don't be afraid to cast out away from the boat but don't let the jig sit to long or you'll spend most of the day tying on new jigs. our rig setup usually consists of a medium heavy rod with a spinning reel and most of us run braided line (just our preference). color or size of jig usually depends on water clarity, sunny vs overcast and wind/waves.... we only run 3/4 oz or 5/8 oz hair jigs.. some guys will run 1 oz on rough days but we've not had good luck with heavier jigs like that but I know guys that use them and they do work. (probly operator error on our part but we stick to what works for us). most of the time I personally run a 3/4 oz purple headed jig with purple and blue hair.. ive caught a lot of fish with this jig so that's what I stick to. my buddies with usually use 3/4oz john deere green or 3/4oz black jigs.. like I said we've had good luck with these lures so its what we stick to until they don't work then try something else.
    hope this information helps out
    good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Fishon is pretty spot on! The only thing I would add is some days cadence can make a difference. There are days all you have to do is drop it down and you'll catch fish. Other days they want it ripped, hopped, drug, etc. I've seen this make a big difference on the same boat with guys trying different techniques. They strike is also different every day. Some days they piound it and some days you won't even know they're on until you lift it up. Braid will make a huge difference in catch rate. I personally like to run 30# braid and then tie on a 6" piece of 8# Flouro with a double uni knot.
    Captain Greg
    Walleye2go Sportfishing