Crappie or Bluegill fishing... Crappie or Bluegill fishing... Crappie or Bluegill fishing... Crappie or Bluegill fishing...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crappie or Bluegill fishing...

When I make my first trip in the Spring for the walleye fishing, I'll literally be on the water sun up to dusk. Being on my own, I'll be here to fish, sleep, and fish some more. If I find success chasing walleye, and want to mix it up to fill out my days… is there any good pan fishing to be had? Say in the bays or such… assuming I'll be around the reefs for walleye.

I'll be in my 17 Lund, so super long trips are a little tough. Part of this is also in the event wind kicks me off the big lake one or more of the days I can make the trip. Some pan fishing, or even catch and release bass or anything as a backup would be nice.

we fish in the marinas next to dock poles and there is crappie, bluegill, large mouth we use a minnow under a bobber

Google East Harbor State Park. Plenty of inshore water to fish there and also west harbor....bluegill bass crappie. Also your not terribly far from the walleye spots. You can always put in closer to the jigging spots and trailer back to east harbor. If your planning on mainly trolling you can catch fish all around the islands and that's not a bad run at all from east harbor. And they have camping there also.

Also wouldn't be a bad idea to post a open seat on your boat and you can always get a couple guys to go. ..helps offset costs of fuel and get local knowledge or ask if anyone has a open spot on their boat.

Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
    When I make my first trip in the Spring for the walleye fishing, I'll literally be on the water sun up to dusk. Being on my own, I'll be here to fish, sleep, and fish some more. If I find success chasing walleye, and want to mix it up to fill out my days… is there any good pan fishing to be had? Say in the bays or such… assuming I'll be around the reefs for walleye.

I'll be in my 17 Lund, so super long trips are a little tough. Part of this is also in the event wind kicks me off the big lake one or more of the days I can make the trip. Some pan fishing, or even catch and release bass or anything as a backup would be nice.
    Good question and insight... It is pretty typical to limit out on Walleye in less than an hour. Many times the boat ride to the reefs and back to the dock is longer than time spent fishing. Of course the limit in the Spring is only 4 fish, and when the jig bite is on that's roughly 20 minutes of fishing... Then fun fishing begins...

A lot of guys cull their fish, which I think is just wrong! Unless the one you are keeping is bigger than the one you are throwing back (just kidding). I mean, unless the fish you are throwing back is healthy and still alive and able to live.

Seriously though. It is good to have a back-up plan for other species unless you just want to catch and release walleye all day or go back to the camper.

-Matt

Default Don't follow loomis82 advice on advertising open seat to help pay for gas or anything

Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post

Accepting money food drinks or something else inlew for a seat on the boat or help pay for gas is considered a charter in Ohio and other states and must have a guide license.The DNR reads these posts!

Quote Originally Posted by grayleef View Post
    Accepting money food drinks or something else inlew for a seat on the boat or help pay for gas is considered a charter in Ohio and other states and must have a guide license.The DNR reads these posts!
    Sharing expenses is not considered a charter! So back off, they do it all to time and openly on the OGF site which by the way has several members of the ODNR upper staff and directors as active members! There are also several active USCG members on that site. The boat is not for hire so long as the owner is not making money, therefore no licences are needed with the exception of regular fishing licences and boat registrations.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

In reply to Wakina, I was getting gas last spring at the pump on Turtle Creek. My fishing pardner and I were splitting the cost of the fuel so I handed him my share of the money so he could pay. The girl pumping the gas said the DNR will ticket you if they see cash changing hands because they consider it a charter. Doesn't seem right to me but that is what I was told.

Myself and wakina are right...I've worked on many charter boats and know the rules. Some people apparently think they know the rules better....you cant except a sandwhich on a boat without it being a charter?? Come on now. And splitting expenses is totally legal. Youre telling me you've never split gas expenses in a vehicle?

Thanks for the info all….. On splitting the cost with someone, we even have threads on a few local sites dedicated to ride/ trip sharing. If it works, I'd welcome someone in the boat… sharing expense would be a nice plus as well.

If I was ticketed for legitimately sharing some expense… I'd welcome the chance to take that to court. Intent wins in that situation every time.