New Member New Member New Member New Member
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Member

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Member

Hello all,

I moved to NW Ohio about a year and a half ago from the Houston area. Since my last 25 years of fishing were on Galveston Bay and close offshore in saltwater, I have been following this forum to learn about walleye and perch fishing in the Western basin of Lake Erie.

Over the last two seasons, I have almost gotten it figured out, and have been moderately successful, especially this past fall. I now have trolling bags, inline planer boards, reels with line counters, and am building my assortment of lures, so I am really looking forward to my next outings. (My most recent outing was Dec 12th, and caught 1/2 limits for 2 of us.)

I run a 20' Century center console with a 150 HP Yamaha and keep the boat on a trailer in Port Clinton. I usually launch from the Catawba Island State Park ramp, but am scouting other ramps in the area as the fish move with the seasonal changes. I am (mostly) retired, and fish during the week, so looking forward to meeting some of the regulars here on the water.

Thanks to those who post regularly for your hints and suggestions - I have learned enough to catch fish periodically and now suffer from a major case of "walleye-itis", so come on Spring, or at least a few clam days with temps in the 40's!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club and Happy New Year. I feel the coming year is going to be great. Read the new threads every time before hitting the lake. The captains and regulars will give you all the info you need for successful trips. If there is no ice it will be sooner than you think. Catawba should be a good place to start.

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as the waters clean up a little, the nite bite will be happening again, love trolling for those big eyes, just like daytime except you need a nighttime visual aid ( glowsticks ). Should be heating up soon, Mike
    Last edited by fishin2; 01-03-2016 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site. If you need anything please feel free to call me. 614.327.7144

Post Thanks / Like

Take Skipper9 up on that phone call! There are few charter captains that are willing to share information, technique and are genuinely willing to help us novices out with specific details. Jim is the real deal. He loves to fish and talk fishing. Especially right now while he's not on the water... Lol

Skipper9 told me to call him about 5-6 years ago and I can honestly say that I have caught more walleye on Lake Erie ( which I have fished for over 30 years) in the last 5 years due to his instructions and information than I have the previous 25 years.

Having said that, most of us in here will answer questions and if someone gives you bad info members won't let it slide.

-Matt