Rod holder question Rod holder question Rod holder question Rod holder question

Default Rod holder question

I'm going to be setting up a new boat for trolling big boards over the winter and I'm trying to plan ahead some. Does anyone know where I can get some 6 rod trolling holders or someone that makes them? I'm going to have to modify them for the boat, but that's something that I can take care of myself. Just trying to save some time on the fabrication of the holders themselves since duck hunting is going to be consuming most of my free time for the next month. I'm also interested in an estimate to get an idea of what I'll be spending. I have some ideas for fabricating something myself, but if it's not going to run a lot higher to save myself time that would be preferable.

Any hello would be appreciated. Merry Christmas to everyone!
    Last edited by Hoytman86; 12-23-2015 at 09:23 AM.

I've seen quad holders, but never six. It'd probably be too much stress on the mounting point. For big boards, I assume you're looking for tube style rod holders and want six per side. If you have the gunwale space, you can fit six rod holders in a 36 inch section of berts track. You would need a flat spot that's 3 1/2 x 36 inches and the track would cost around $100 per side. If you can muster a 3 1/2 x 4 inch spot anywhere on the gunwale, you can mount a Cannon 18 inch pedestal track. You can fit three rod holders in that and I'll include a picture of mine with very inexpensive rod holders mounted. These 18 inch pedestal mounts have been on clearance on the internet for the last year and can be found for about $20 each. Here's a link. You'd need four of these to be able to mount six rod holders per side. http://www.tackledirect.com/cannon-p...n-1904006.html.

I know everyone likes to run cisco, berts, and Cannon rod holders, but there are less expensive alternatives. I use Scotty Rocket Launcher rod holders. Walmart.com is selling them for a whopping $11.66. Search for Walmart item number 552658879. Scotty has come out with some lockable mounts for these rod holders, also at Walmart for $8.34 each. Search walmart.com for part number 552657138. You'd also need track adapters. Luckily, Walmart has those also for 12.50 each. Search walmart part number 552658510. A track mounted Scotty rocket launcher costs 11.66 for the rod holder plus 8.34 for the mount plus 12.50 for the track adapter for a total of $32.50

If you went with four cannon pedestals and 12 tube rod holders, you could set your entire boat up for:

Pedestal Tracks 4 x $20 = $80
    Rod Holder, Mount, & Track Adapters 12 x 32.50 = $390
    Total $470

Rod holder question-img_1147-jpg

I'm not planning on using a track system. I was actually looking for something like I've linked below. There are 2 flush-mount rod holders on each side of the boat, I'm going to weld aluminum poles on the bottom of one of each mount to slide down into the existing flush mounts. I know they make gimbal mounts for just this purpose, but they're expensive and I'm trying to keep it to 1 piece per side. I will keep those in mind in case I can't find what I'm looking for. There's certainly enough room on the gunwales for whatever I want to do, just trying to avoid additional holes in the boat if it's at all possible, and want to be able to remove the holders when we're not fishing. The picture below is Cisco's storage racks, but they're around $335 each. I'm sure they'll work for trolling if that's the only option I can find, but I figured I'd check here first to see if anyone knows someone that makes them for less.

Thanks!

Rod holder question-5155-img-0-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Rod holder question-anon_nh1-png 
    Last edited by Hoytman86; 12-24-2015 at 11:41 AM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221362413749...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Found this company on ebay. they fabricate all kinds of rodholders, located in Marion, oh

I'd get ahold of Skipper 9 or Erik from Eyehunter Charters. I don't know where they got theirs made... Maybe they made their own... But they are flush mount 8 rod offset holders that work great!

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman86 View Post
    I'm not planning on using a track system. I was actually looking for something like I've linked below. There are 2 flush-mount rod holders on each side of the boat, I'm going to weld aluminum poles on the bottom of one of each mount to slide down into the existing flush mounts. I know they make gimbal mounts for just this purpose, but they're expensive and I'm trying to keep it to 1 piece per side. I will keep those in mind in case I can't find what I'm looking for. There's certainly enough room on the gunwales for whatever I want to do, just trying to avoid additional holes in the boat if it's at all possible, and want to be able to remove the holders when we're not fishing. The picture below is Cisco's storage racks, but they're around $335 each. I'm sure they'll work for trolling if that's the only option I can find, but I figured I'd check here first to see if anyone knows someone that makes them for less.

Thanks!

Rod holder question-5155-img-0-jpg

Blog Entries

I have a cannon track system will those Scotty rocket launcher fit on there

Those scotty are on sale at jet.com. they are scotty 476 includes the base for under 20 bucks. The more you buy there the more you save. I just ordered 6 of them for 16 each with free shipping

Give me a call we can get you set up! 7403417894
    Thanks
    Capt Erik
    Bose-Man Sportfishing