Fishing trip help Fishing trip help Fishing trip help Fishing trip help

Default Fishing trip help

I am looking to plan an ice fishing trip for after Christmas any good out of state locations or guides you guys would recommend ?

Good luck finding ice. Maybe some where in Mich. up north or Canada. Don't see much ice on Erie anytime soon.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Just returning to the area after a few years up in Minnesota. I still have a lot of fishing friends up there and they are saying that even as far as International Falls the ice is spotty that far north. As Bggeary stated -- good luck on anything south of Canada. As far a monitoring ice conditions, this is a pretty good website for Minnesota (http://www.outdoornews.com/Minnesota/Fishing-Reports/). You can also check on Michigan-Sportsman.com in their Ice Fishing forum (registration required) and the U.P. guys may be able to keep you up to date.
    Last edited by Polar Eyes; 12-09-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Eyes View Post
    Just returning to the area after a few years up in Minnesota. I still have a lot of fishing friends up there and they are saying that even as far as International Falls the ice is spotty that far north. As Bggeary stated -- good luck on anything south of Canada. As far a monitoring ice conditions, this is a pretty good website for Minnesota (http://www.outdoornews.com/Minnesota/Fishing-Reports/). You can also check on Michigan-Sportsman.com in their Ice Fishing forum (registration required) and the U.P. guys may be able to keep you up to date.
    Polar - any suggestions for LOW sleeper cabins on the ice??? Thinking Jan / Feb - when is the bite the best in the winter up that way?

Yeah it's looking pretty grim compared to last year that El Nino is killing me! That's why I was hoping to get some info out of state if it was any better anywhere else! I appreciate all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by iHunter View Post
    Polar - any suggestions for LOW sleeper cabins on the ice??? Thinking Jan / Feb - when is the bite the best in the winter up that way?
    Not really, I'm not much of an ice fisherman (I know, your're probably thinking what the hell did I do for the 7 months of winter during 2013-2014 -- damn near went crazy!!! that's what!!!)

Most of the guys I know up there have their own "Ice Castles" they pull around. These things are like luxury RVs that crank the wheels up and sit directly on the ice.. I went fishing with a few of them, but I just can't get into Ice Fishing no matter how hard I tried. That's what I love about El Nino years -- Year round open water fishing!!!!

Ok, thanks! I was just hoping to avoid going up there on the basis of a nice website and chamber of commerce description.

Just talked to my old boss up in Minnesota. He says that upper Red Lake (the non-Reservation, public portion) has about 5" of solid ice. Still a little thin for that big of a lake, but they have finally had some winter up there and he's thinking he'll be able to get on upper Red after Christmas.