Bottom boat paint Bottom boat paint Bottom boat paint Bottom boat paint
    Blog Entries

Default Bottom boat paint

I was wondering where to take my boat to get bottom paint done and roughly what it cost for a 20 ft

Are you getting it redone or applied for the first time? If it's the first time, you should get a barrier coat applied before the paint. I have a 20' center console. It cost me around $1200 for the barrier coat and paint the first time. After you get the paint, you don't need the barrier coat redone and it's less expensive.

If you are able to do do the cleaning and painting yourself,Sherwin Williams offers a complete line of marine bottom paints that are very good at a minimal cost.

Blog Entries

How u get the boat off the trailer I don't have any stands

I just use a 20 ton bottle jack to lift my 27' Sportcraft, one side at a time. If the old bottom paint is a little rough use a good power washer or a sanding sponge will work. Then you can roll your bottom paint on using a roller with a rolling sponge. Then let it dry before you let it down. I usually apply several coats before let down.
    Captain Greg
    Walleye2go Sportfishing

Captain Greg Im guessing you use 1 bottle jack, do you use like a 6 foot 4x4 or some kind of small beam below the bottle jack?

Yeah I have 2' 6x6 cutoffs that I stack up to get the jack close to the bottom of the boat. Than I have a piece of 6x6 that I cut to match the angle of the bottom of the boat. This piece goes in between the bottom of the boat and the top of the jack.
    Captain Greg
    Walleye2go Sportfishing

I had my 27 regal done this spring at drawbridge. They charged me 500 to wash and clean, sand, epoxy prime 2 coats and paint 2 coats all over with a 3rd on the sides. I bought the primer and paint at west marine. They had a buy on get one free over the holidays. Total investment just under 800. Boat had never been painted before. Dropped it off on Sunday picked it up next Saturday.

mine is a 25 Grady White and currently at Offshore Performance near Davis Besse I stopped yesterday it is in the shop now stop see it they are doing what I think is a excellent job , blast -barrier coat and paint all at the best estimate I received, they took it off the trailer and are not missing any spots... I am impressed to the attention to detail...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    I was wondering where to take my boat to get bottom paint done and roughly what it cost for a 20 ft
    I had South Shore Marine in Huron paint the bottom of my 31' Contender. They weren't the cheapest but I feel they are the best and pay close attention to detail. They applied 5 coats of barrier epoxy and 2 coats of VC Offshore bottom paint. Its been 4 years and all I do is touch it up and put on a very light coat at the water line, as this is where the paint gets most of its wear. When I pull it in the fall, I power wash it, hit the water line with a brush, and put it away. For a 20' boat I don't see it costing more than $1500 for prep, barrier coat and paint. I do recommend the VC Offshore paint, it is supposed to last 10 years before reapplying it with minimal touch up.
    Last edited by mkalink; 11-30-2015 at 08:45 PM.