perch fishin perch fishin perch fishin perch fishin

Thread: perch fishin

Default perch fishin

Myself and two others started our day on the lake at 8;30 am today, pickins were very slow. saw a group of boats wide spread east of the harbor light so we started there. Cruised around till we found good readings on the fish finder and dropped anchor. Around 10 or shortly after things began to get lively, lots of throw backs...probably 1 keeper for every 5-6 throwbacks. Very few critters, 72 keepers. We try to only keep 8" or better but a few gut hooked 7+ were tossed into the mix for a 15lb total at the cleaners. By 1;30 things were extremely slow with little to no breeze so we called it a day. A little slow but a nice catch overall, sure beats going in to work!!!

Blog Entries

Hello,
    We have to spend more time to find them and 'feel' them this time of Perch Season and it's 'hit or miss' more so than not. Just wondering about the eating size of Yellow Perch. Some have told me that the Jumbo's from the Eastern Basin taste about the same and others have said that the big (12-14") just don't taste as good...they're OK, but just not as flavorful. Have any of our Western/Central Basin folks noticed a real difference? We could get into a debate about the nice Canadian inland lakes and their Perch, but, for conversation, let's keep this in Ohio--PA--NY Lake Erie.

Personally, for me, 9-10 is the best eating perch, east or west. Give me a cooler of those to take home and I'm a happy camper. I do think the 11-12's and up get a little stronger flavor. But I have yet to see anyone turn one of those down when I fry one up and they sure are fun to catch.

I think one thing that really does help is to take the skin off once the get around 11 or up! I think that makes a noticeable difference.

Having said that, if you know where to find some 14's, lets go!

Blog Entries

Default 14" Yellow Perch

I've heard that the inland lakes in upper Canada have them on a regular basis, but you have to fly in, $$$?
    I also have seen some on the videos of guys fishing on Lake Michigan, YouTube might have a few. And notice the colors of MI fish, sort of grayish compared to Erie's.

Quote Originally Posted by LEfriend View Post
    Personally, for me, 9-10 is the best eating perch, east or west. Give me a cooler of those to take home and I'm a happy camper. I do think the 11-12's and up get a little stronger flavor. But I have yet to see anyone turn one of those down when I fry one up and they sure are fun to catch.

I think one thing that really does help is to take the skin off once the get around 11 or up! I think that makes a noticeable difference.

Having said that, if you know where to find some 14's, lets go!