Help Help Help Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help

Default Help

Please set up a screening process for new members to protect this site. Set up an application page and filter their first several posts to eliminate the dangerous crud being posted.

Thanks,
    Spoontang

Amen Mr. Spoontang

I agree, somthing needs to be done to block these idiots !!

Saltshaker Guest

I second that ...I just joined but it seems this place is getting spammed now more than ever and it really pisses me off. I sent a PM to an admin a while ago with several user names to be removed that clearly are spamming the forum.Nothing yet and they are still bumping up old threads with their gold crap sites and others which I would never dare to click on fearing to be hijacked.

Angry Spam sucks

Hey Spoontang you hit the nail on the head filter the garbage!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Default garbage

This is walleye rick, administrator for this forum. I've been in contact with the VBulletin and the spamming is being generated by automatic 'bots'.

I will be upgrading to the latest version of software and they say this will have better protection built in. In the last several weeks I've deleted over 500 spam subscribers but can't keep up with it manually.

Hang in there as I hope the new software will help eliminate much of this garbage.

Saltshaker Guest

Hey Rick...Thanks for addressing the issue.At first I thought maybe it was just a few idiots but as it got worse, I began to realize that maybe theres a lot more to it than just a few posts....I wish we could spam them back and see how they like it. I'm still new to the board but this kind of stuff really upsets me when I really enjoy a place like this for something I have always love to do and thats fishin!!!! Not to see fools using it as a way to corrupt ones computer or anything else for that matter. Anyway..thanks again. Hopefully this stuff can be filtered out without any more coming back.Perhaps there's a way to ban thier IPs and emails too.
    Chris.

BTW,
    Still hopin to get back out on the lake for some Walleye...let you all know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye_Rick View Post
    This is walleye rick, administrator for this forum. I've been in contact with the VBulletin and the spamming is being generated by automatic 'bots'.

I will be upgrading to the latest version of software and they say this will have better protection built in. In the last several weeks I've deleted over 500 spam subscribers but can't keep up with it manually.

Hang in there as I hope the new software will help eliminate much of this garbage.

Thanks a ton Rick. I understand it is alot of work, time and expense. It is unfortunate predators try to crash computers, sell trash and waiste our valuable time. This has always been a great site and it sounds like it will bounce back. The season is winding down for me and it will soon be time to knock some ducks out of the sky.

Thank you Rick for your attention to this matter.

Blog Entries

Default spammers

Auto Bot Spammers are still hitting the site hard even after I updated to latest version and put a filter in place with image letters that users have to key into the system.

The new version has a 'must answer' question that I will try to implement. Not sure how it works and it may keep anyone from registering for a while but at least the spamming will stop till I can get this under control.

Thanks for everyone's patience,

Walleye Rick, Administrator

Blog Entries

Default slowing down spammers

OK, here is an update on my quest to slow down the auto 'bot' robot spammers. Now, when new users attempt to register they must answer a simple question. The trick is that I give them the answer. For example the question could be:

What is the forum all about? Answer is fishing.

Then the user needs to type in 'fishing' as the answer. this is a technique that confuses the auto 'bots' as they are not sophisticated eneogh to figure this out. Hopefully our fellow fishermen coming and registering to this site don't find this too confusing.

Any/all feedback with this approach would be appreciated. GOOD FISHING!