B-Can area perch 08/16 B-Can area perch 08/16 B-Can area perch 08/16 B-Can area perch 08/16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wakina, So were you night fishing or just using light during the day to draw them in

I use the light during the day.

When I was a kid back in the mid to 50's my Dad would put 2 jugs down while perch fishing. One jug was like a 1 gallon cider jug filled with water and a 1/2 dozen shiners or so. The other jug would be a large type mason jar weighted and sealed with a lantern type flash light in it, the light was one of those that shown in circular direction. He would leave both down to the bottom and then raise them just enough to get the line to the jug tight.

We saw that first on TV, I believe it was Lowell Thomas or Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, I am not sure which but they were using this set up in brackish water or salt water to draw fish into the area so they could film them. The fish were really aggressive in their attempt to get at the bait fish in the jug and they would swim up and look at the light at close range. So that is where I got the idea from, it is not an original idea just a variation.

Light penetration from above (the sun) with all of the algae this year has been reduced so I thought I would give this a try. Perch are curious and are attracted to noise so why not light? I am not saying that it works all of the time or even at all for that matter. But it is my opinion that it has helped me on most occasions.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I've done basically same thing except made it self contained. That way I don't have to mess with wires. Used a Plastic pill bottle, like the one you would get from pharmacy. Picked up LED light that's meant as a car accessory and for power I use a 9 volt battery. Wire It up, Put it in Plastic Pill Bottle and drop It down to bottom. My lights are red. As far as if it works, some times I would swear by it, other not so much. I've also used the Pill method as a noise maker.

I noticed making noise to attract perch has been mentioned a couple times in this thread. My dad and I use to fish with a guy 30 years ago that had a homemade "fish call" he used perch fishing. It was 3 of the old metal window weights (the ones that were hidden in the wall on the sides of the windows) tied on a long rope. He would lower it off the back of the boat and tap it on the bottom every so often. I swear the perch use to start hitting within a few seconds - of course I was 10 years old at the time and I may have just wished it was working. He would also start and rev his motor occasionally to make a little noise.

Anybody ever hear of anyone doing this sort of thing......because I happen to have a few window weights in my barn as was thinking about trying something similar but don't want everyone on the boat laughing at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbled & Blessed View Post
    I noticed making noise to attract perch has been mentioned a couple times in this thread. My dad and I use to fish with a guy 30 years ago that had a homemade "fish call" he used perch fishing. It was 3 of the old metal window weights (the ones that were hidden in the wall on the sides of the windows) tied on a long rope. He would lower it off the back of the boat and tap it on the bottom every so often. I swear the perch use to start hitting within a few seconds - of course I was 10 years old at the time and I may have just wished it was working. He would also start and rev his motor occasionally to make a little noise.

Anybody ever hear of anyone doing this sort of thing......because I happen to have a few window weights in my barn as was thinking about trying something similar but don't want everyone on the boat laughing at me.
    Butch & Denny's sells perch callers or they did. Works similar to what you described but the action of the boat rocking makes them work.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip