Emerald Shiner problem Emerald Shiner problem Emerald Shiner problem Emerald Shiner problem

Default Emerald Shiner problem

After following the discussions on this board I realize and understand the problems in getting Emerald Shiners for perch fishing this year. My question to the group is this. With the shortage, has anyone tried or had any success with the Berkley Gulp Alive Emerald Shiners. I see they come in different sizes from one to three inches and the color looks pretty good from what I have seen. I will be trying Perch fishing on the Lake for the first time next week and wondered if they would be worth trying.

A buddy of mine tried that theory last weekend. They did not work, even after getting the perch going with good shiners.

Blog Entries

Default Emerald "options"

If you can't find Emeralds use the other minnows like Goldies, cut/pinch them in 1/2 to release the 'scent'. And if you happen to catch a White Perch, White Bass or even a small Sheephead, cut a strip of belly meat about 2" by 1/2" and put it on your hook at one end of the bait, letting the other end trail. It usually stays on the hook for a longer time too, after several bites! You can also use their eyes with or without the belly meat. I've also heard of people poking holes in cans of cat food and tying a line then resting them on the bottom to attract fish. Just remember to retrieve before moving, (ahem). Some Head Boat Captains will start their engines and let them run for a few minutes during a lull while anchored, theory is it sort of startles the Perch and for some reason they start to feed. I've been on boats where it worked and other times...nuthin'.
    Past posts mentioned frozen Crawfish Claws. Has anyone found them at a local bait shop? I recall one guy who swore by them while Perching Lake Michigan, he was thinking of bringing some back while visiting there. Like to hear from him if he uses them on L. Erie.

Quote Originally Posted by sstormer View Post
    After following the discussions on this board I realize and understand the problems in getting Emerald Shiners for perch fishing this year. My question to the group is this. With the shortage, has anyone tried or had any success with the Berkley Gulp Alive Emerald Shiners. I see they come in different sizes from one to three inches and the color looks pretty good from what I have seen. I will be trying Perch fishing on the Lake for the first time next week and wondered if they would be worth trying.