Port Clinton Port Clinton Port Clinton Port Clinton

Thread: Port Clinton

Default Port Clinton

I will be in Port Clinton next week. Mix of a business trip and fishing trip, bringing my Ranger Bass Boat looking for some Walleyes and Perch. I have a couple questions. What would be my best place to launch around Port Clinton, and are there any recommendations for areas for Walleyes and Perch? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a public ramp into the Portage River off 163 right in Port Clinton. About a 2-3 mile ride up the channel gets you to the lake. The perch seem to be hitting anywhere from the shipping channel of the Maumee to crane creek area, but that changes daily.

You could also launch at Catawba State Park. For perch I would head west towards the firing range. Have a chart so you stay out of the closed zone. You could also head north toward Rattlesnake island for perch. as far as walleye that's a tough one. Not many good walleye reports within close proximity to Port Clinton lately. Little fishing pressure for them and the few being caught are farther north in Canadian waters or further east in the central basin.
    I would suggest you make your first stop one of the tackle stores in Port Clinton for up to date info and a supply of tackle. One suggestion is Fishermen's Wharf in downtown Port Clinton. There are many others in the area.

You could also launch at Catawba State Park. For perch I would head west towards the firing range. Have a chart so you stay out of the closed zone. You could also head north toward Rattlesnake island for perch. as far as walleye that's a tough one. Not many good walleye reports within close proximity to Port Clinton lately. Little fishing pressure for them and the few being caught are farther north in Canadian waters or further east in the central basin.
    I would suggest you make your first stop one of the tackle stores in Port Clinton for up to date info and a supply of tackle. One suggestion is Fishermen's Wharf in downtown Port Clinton. There are many others in the area.

Thanks for the information. This will be only my second trip to Lake Erie, I fished in Michigan waters late June for Walleyes and did very well. Thanks to Capt Dan of Tightline Charters who gave provided me with lessons and guidance. He is a great fisherman and teacher all put together. This will be my first attempt at perch fishing and I am looking forward to it.

Try 1/2 mile South and 1/2 mile west of the Catawba bouy. If you can put up with the boat traffic and junk fish, you can do well. We have caught some of our biggest catches there. Maybe even catch a Smallie or a Walleye as a bonus. Will probably see you there this weekend.

Are you talking 2 different spots. Or do you mean about .75 miles SW of the buoy?

HA! When I read this again I can see where it could be confusing. One spot. Just what I use as a guide to line up the spot (pre GPS). We were out Sunday by H can and got driven out by the bugs. Headed out to the pack west of Rattlesnake Island. Lots of little ones, (kept 7 1/2 minimum). Ended up with 11 lbs live weight. Not a banner day but it was a nice one.

Ok, thats what I thought but jus wanted to make sure. We ended up a few hundred yards South of the Catawba buoy. Managed to pull 36 keepers and several smaller ones. Still looking for my first limit.