The cans The cans The cans The cans

Thread: The cans

Blog Entries

Default The cans

Where is the best place to launch ur boat to go to the cans

It depends on the cans you want to go to. If you want to fish the west side, Wild Wings Marina as well as any of the marinas on Turtle creek ( Fenwick, Turtle Creek, Turtle Point, Lamberjacks) are the closest. If you're wanting to fish "H" can or more toward the East side, the portage river marinas might be closer. I'm not familiar with the launches on the river, but I'm sure there are some public launches somewhat close to the lake.

The DNR ramp in port Clinton is a decent ramp, just a little longer run out to the lake, about 10-15 minutes of no wake, but it's free and no complaints about the ramp itself. This launch is on 163 and you come out of the Portage River.

As far as other options, I would caution using the ramps at Wild Wings. They're extremely steep and depending on your boat it may be tough to get it out on those. One of the ramps is also broken off which you may or may not see until it's too late. Fenwick has excellent ramps at the cost of a couple of extra miles of running on the lake. Both of them charge $10 per day and will put you much closer to the nether she of the firing range.

You can also put in at Catawba State Park to access the eastern cans

Blog Entries

Thanks guys I was going to go out of Catawba going to H can I not familiar with the ramps over there I went out of wild wings for icefishing thanks again

Coastal Marine on the Portage River has a nice ramp also. They charge you $7 the last time I tried there years ago, but you save some no wake time coming out of the river and there's normally no line or anything. It's about 3/4 of a mile or so east of the State Park launch on 163. The State Park launch is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rkfet View Post
    Coastal Marine on the Portage River has a nice ramp also. They charge you $7 the last time I tried there years ago, but you save some no wake time coming out of the river and there's normally no line or anything. It's about 3/4 of a mile or so east of the State Park launch on 163. The State Park launch is nice.
    There is one draw back to those locations that is minor so long as you are aware of it. Please make sure that your VHF antenna will pass under the draw bridge! 20 ft boats may be close with the antenna mounted on the gunwale and those that are over that length should maybe lower the antenna before reaching the bridge. This is just a heads up about the possibility of breaking your VHF Antenna. "LOL" So, you have probably already assumed how I know without asking me!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    There is one draw back to those locations that is minor so long as you are aware of it. Please make sure that your VHF antenna will pass under the draw bridge! 20 ft boats may be close with the antenna mounted on the gunwale and those that are over that length should maybe lower the antenna before reaching the bridge. This is just a heads up about the possibility of breaking your VHF Antenna. "LOL" So, you have probably already assumed how I know without asking me!
    Or have your trolling rods in the rocket launchers on your T-Top!!!! The first time through I just realized that with a little time to spare.

LOL, I thought I posted that about the Antenna getting broken, not Jonny . Site must be having difficulties
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip