Fishing with Jeff and Mike 7/19/15 Fishing with Jeff and Mike 7/19/15 Fishing with Jeff and Mike 7/19/15 Fishing with Jeff and Mike 7/19/15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by penalty box View Post
    anyone that hasn't messed up a netting job is a liar, we have all done it. Your boat sits real close to the water, easier to hold the net with your hand. My big boat the only option is a clip to hold the net.
    How do you trigger the clip, to release it, so the net drops when you want it to?
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

the weight of the fish releases the clip.

Default drop weights

[QUOTE=Capt Juls;49194][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Comic Sans MS][B] "We were running Bandits from 75-90 back with another one 70/70 with a 2 ounce snapweight ( for those of you who don't know what 70/70 is....let 70 feet of line out...add the snapweight...let out another 70 feet of line, and put the Off Shore board on)."

Juls,

Do you have a formula for calculating the depth when using drop weights?

We ran cranks earlier this year in the spring at 25/25 and 30/30 as yourself and several others were doing. We had success, but really didnt know what depths our lures were at. We were just emulating the programs of others.

I would like to be able to know how to calculate my running depths when adding drop weights. Typically we are pulling Jets or Tru-Trips with spoons or harnesses so this is not an issue. However when we need to add additional depth to a crank, this is when we are lost.

Thanks so much for your wonderful reports. I know I have gained a lot of knowledge from reading them, and Im sure others have as well. I really appreciate the amount of time and detail you put into them. Please keep up the great work.

Matt

Hi Matt,
    To be honest, not really...lol

There is a chart from Precision Trolling showing the Off Shore Tackle Pro Weight system at different speeds using the 50/50 method.

And, I have also been told, for example, that a 1oz weight will give you an extra foot for every 10 feet of line you let out. So, if you use a 1oz weight at 50/50, it's going to give your lure an extra 5 feet of depth from it's normal running depth. Speed is a big factor in the equation though...and, the chart shows the info at different speeds.

Basically, I just try stuff to get it close to where I think it should be running, and then if it catches a fish, I duplicate it. If it catches three fish, then I start changing up the other baits to match it.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Default fwiw

Juls, I do the same thing and when the bite slows down I start a variation of speeds to find a different column of water where there's active fish. I replicate that even pulling meat with harnesses and implement lots of subtle turns and weaves creating different actions when the bit slows down. I couldn't believe the algae plumes off the wheel last Saturday. It was a week since I had been there and limited out the previous 3 times in clear water. I got there late only caught a few fish because of some tardy individuals that had me on edge after a 2 hr. delay only to get there and fish for about an hour and see thunderheads forming to the west and threats on the radio of 15-25 sw winds slated to build up behind them bangers. I said, this is a wrap fellas, get them lines in! I got caught in a very violent storm 2 years ago, the first and hopefully my last ever, after 35 years of being on that lake.That gains a lot of weather respect and you never wanna put your people in peril on that Lake under any circumstance.
    I should have learned that tardiness earns you a spot on the mainland when it comes to fishing and I myself should have thrown in the towel that day.

FYI, Those thunderheads dissipated after that 20 mile run back, figures!!! Basically mirrored on how my day went...lol
    Last edited by limitlypps; 07-23-2015 at 04:28 AM.

I use Scotty Netminder releases very easy. Used to use the yellow offshore clip but smaller fish on occasion would not release the net from clip.