Casting Report - 7/11/10 Casting Report - 7/11/10 Casting Report - 7/11/10 Casting Report - 7/11/10
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree so much with " The Swing" but you have to flexible and try things. Multiple people on the boat can really help narrow that down. Some days shorter casts are the thing. (Dont know why?) maybe the angle of the blade. Some days a guy holding the rod over the side of the boat dragging and lifting can catch as many fish as the guys with the swing. But that being said they usually catch as many zebra mussells and break alot of weapons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    I would like to hear more fisherman chime in on the longer cast being a good thing when working the swing. I am a long caster, but have seen and had success shortening the cast as the sweep of the swing is magnified with a shorter / medium swing.

Anyone else have an opinion or want to share experience.
    I've found when jig fishing (also doing best on the swing) a short to medium cast works better for me. When the fish seem to be biting right in the swing, I don't waste time time before or after it. I cast so the bait gets to the bottom at about 90 degrees or a little before compared to the drift and reel in right after the bait starts dragging almost behind the drift. Shorter casts take less time getting to the sweet spot and reeling in for another. Also can keep in better contact with the bait, especially in the wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Now we are learning something. Keep it coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Salmon fishing was poor this year. 2 days of fishing we kept 7 fish. We normally find it fairly easy to get our limit. We marked very few fish. Average boat had between 0 to 6 fish. Still going back next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PZeiler View Post
    Salmon fishing was poor this year. 2 days of fishing we kept 7 fish. We normally find it fairly easy to get our limit. We marked very few fish. Average boat had between 0 to 6 fish. Still going back next year.
    Don't feel bad. It's poor on Lk. Michigan too. Has been for a couple years. Did catch a few Perch out there this weekend though.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to fish Michigan all the time in April till I realized what I was missing on Erie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Wheezer View Post
    Thanks Wakina, one more silly question. Does that type of retrieve have an advantage over a straight in retrieve on the drift line of the boat?
    if casting downwind on drift line of boat you are retrieving back where boat had drifted and possibly spooked fish.Your drift speed will also influence the speed your lure goes through the water and thus your depth.Casting perpendicular to your drift you initially have no drift speed affecting your retrieve.You count down to desired depth then start your retrieve.As your lure swings more downwind of boat the drift will increase the speed your lure goes through the water and the less line you have out will both pull your lure up faster.Slow down retrieve as you bring it in to keep lure at desired depth.The guys that catch the most fish keeps their lure in strike zone the longest.