Non Canadian Walleye Fishing in the Summer Non Canadian Walleye Fishing in the Summer Non Canadian Walleye Fishing in the Summer Non Canadian Walleye Fishing in the Summer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Non Canadian Walleye Fishing in the Summer

I know several of the charters and other fisherman have started to go into Canadian water to get the eyes, and will continue to through the next couple of months. Wondering if anyone is willing to share some locations they had success in summer fishing for Walleye in U.S. water. Not too interested in going across the line.

I know I've had some success on the Northwest Reef, and around Rattlesnake. Any other locations you guys have had luck with during July and August?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Crane creek starting as soon as the mayflies slow down. You can find em anywhere from 15 to 20' of water. Hot & tots, jets & spoons, shad raps are just a few baits that work. It's just a matter of covering water and finding those active schools. It's one of my favorite bites of the year.

Fish along the Canadian Line towards the weather Bouy moving East as summer progresses. I wouldn't overlook Canada we caught 24 yesterday weighing 108 łbs. Fishing there extends your season for some Big Walleye. We did best in Crawler Harnesses I bought at Bays Edge by Captian Randy with Tommy Harris Blades. Pink and Purple Blades worked the best.

Quote Originally Posted by j4gash View Post
    Fish along the Canadian Line towards the weather Bouy moving East as summer progresses. I wouldn't overlook Canada we caught 24 yesterday weighing 108 łbs. Fishing there extends your season for some Big Walleye. We did best in Crawler Harnesses I bought at Bays Edge by Captian Randy with Tommy Harris Blades. Pink and Purple Blades worked the best.
    I was out in that area on Friday. About half way between Kelley Island Shoal and the weather bouy, right on the Canadian line. The only reason I'm looking for spots in Ohio waters is because I take out a lot of friends and family members. I know many of them are not going to want to get their Canadian fishing licenses and passports. We did pretty well out there on Friday. We caught 4 on the first troll, and then for whatever reason we started catching trash fish non stop. Every time we would put out a line we would have a White Bass or a Sheephead. We couldn't even keep the lines out long enough to get Walleye, because of all the trash fish. I ended up moving a little bit to the southwest to try and get back into the eyes, but they were hit and miss from that point on - a lot slower than that first pass through. We ended up with 10 in about 6 hours of fishing. Did catch one really nice one though that was 29.5" long and just short of 9 lbs.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

You can catch walleye all summer long in US waters, you don't need to go to Canada. Charters go there in the summer because the fishing can be better and they have paying clients. Throughout summer walleye spread out and generally stay in deeper clearer water. A walleye can easily swim 15-20 miles in 24 hours. They move around looking for water conditions and forage they prefer. When they find it they generally stay there until it changes. Find water with the characteristics they like (a little cooler, deeper, clearer, higher O2, plenty of forage fish) and you will find walleye. A few of many spots to search? West of North Bass Island along the border a few miles and down to Rattlesnake Island. Around West Sister Island. The north and east side of Kelleys Island. Between Middle and North Bass Islands. Also try different times of day. Evening can be better than the morning. Try shallower depths early in the morning and late evening. Move until you find active fish, don’t stay in one spot too long that’s not producing. The walleye are often there, you just have to find active fish and then figure out how to catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    You can catch walleye all summer long in US waters, you don't need to go to Canada. Charters go there in the summer because the fishing can be better and they have paying clients. Throughout summer walleye spread out and generally stay in deeper clearer water. A walleye can easily swim 15-20 miles in 24 hours. They move around looking for water conditions and forage they prefer. When they find it they generally stay there until it changes. Find water with the characteristics they like (a little cooler, deeper, clearer, higher O2, plenty of forage fish) and you will find walleye. A few of many spots to search? West of North Bass Island along the border a few miles and down to Rattlesnake Island. Around West Sister Island. The north and east side of Kelleys Island. Between Middle and North Bass Islands. Also try different times of day. Evening can be better than the morning. Try shallower depths early in the morning and late evening. Move until you find active fish, don’t stay in one spot too long that’s not producing. The walleye are often there, you just have to find active fish and then figure out how to catch them.
    OPPS, dislike was the wrong button.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    Great reply West Basin

I'm interested in learning more about the migratory patterns of the Walleye in Lake Erie. It's obvious from your reply that you have some knowledge on this subject. Can you point me in the direction of any material that I can use to read/study more on this subject? I'm curious where you gained your information, was it primarily from experience fishing the lake or have you also studied this subject? I'm relatively new to walleye fishing on Lake Erie, and always trying to find out as much information as I can. My family and I have made Port Clinton/Marblehead our summer home away from home the last 3 years. We keep both our camper and boat there. We enjoy getting out on the lake and catching the walleye as much as possible. I've made it my habit to talk to as many people as I can in the bait shops, fish cleaning stations, on the dock, etc.

I'm specifically interested in locating the water with characteristics the walleye like as you mention in your reply. Outside of watching the satellite images and checking water temps, do you have any specific advice on how to go about this?

Thanks again for the great reply, and I'll look forward to hearing more from you on this subject.

Matt

Matt took the words right out of my mouth. I would love to learn more about walleye and perch migratory patterns

Yes, hopefully West Basin will reply. I've been checking this thread everyday in suspense...lol

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

My experience is both professional and personal. I was a fisheries technician with ODW back in the 90’s. I didn’t work on Lake Erie but I followed the research and monitoring the Lake Erie unit did. Had a boat on the Lake also in the late 80’s and 90’s and did a lot of walleye and perch fishing. I spent several summers working at various places around the islands so I know the Lake very well.

There is a lot of data on the Lake Erie walleye fishery, but it’s not necessarily easy to find it all. It’s not usually published for the public, but you can find some or most of the studies and research papers on the Internet. I will see if I can find my list and put some links on here. I am planning to put links to various studies on my Lake Erie website when I get time ( www.ilakeerie.com ).

Generally speaking there are groups of walleye in the Lake, some that stay mostly in the Western Basin, some that tend to migrate from the Detroit River / Lake St. Clair / Lake Huron, and others that move between the Central and Western Basins. These and others intermingle so there are always transfers from one group to another. Recent and ongoing research is trying to better identify these groups and their movements. There is a line of underwater acoustical instruments across the western basin that is tracking tagged walleye that move through the western basin (you can see a graphical history of where some walleye have traveled). Technology is rapidly making it economically possible to collect and process data we couldn’t up until now. This data should start to tell us a lot more in the next few years.