Evening casting?? Evening casting?? Evening casting?? Evening casting??

Default Evening casting??

I've never tried casting at night and was hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction. I don't know if I'm to late or early but have heard people talk about it. What to look for? What to throw? Coming out of Catawba. Not looking for coordinates (although I wouldn't mind them!) just an idea of what I will need and where they hang out. Trying to make it up this week if weather lets me.

Let me start by saying there is nothing wrong with night casting for walleyes! Shallow rocky areas that have enough water to float your boat are good areas to start, reef complex comes to mind, except Crib Reef, that is unless you are very familiar with the shallow spot on Crib Reef.

Not trying to discourage you but do want you to be aware of the possibility of a miserable experience.

I had one of my worst night experiences ever on a casting trip to Niagra Reef on a warm June night, I have never went back to that area ever again at night in the month of June. I don't remember what time it started that night but the MayFlies had a major hatch that horrid night in June, they were so thick you could not see and they were crawling all over the boat as well as my fishing buddy and me. It was just awful. They were so thick that if you tried to move around you could hardly stand up as they would smash up and the floor became so slippery that it was actually dangerous to try and stand or move around. Just so you know!

If you get back by dark you should be OK.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thanks wakina, that should get me started. I may postpone til the bugs are gone.

I've been night fishing for years & fish from boat in to boat out. I have my favorite spots but any rocky area can hold fish. Anywhere around the reefs, Rattle, Lucy's Point, Green, Kelleys (off Long Point and the humps on the shoal). The quieter the better. Avoid areas where there is a lot of boat traffic. A quiet lake seems to be best. They come up out of deeper water into the shallows to feed. Watch your depth. I try to anchor up before dark in a position where I can cast shallow or deep. My experience has been that showtime is when you cast a plug and there is barely enough light to see the water splash. The witching hour will be the next 45-60 minutes. I've stayed out much later but over the years the most productive time seems to be that 60 minute window. After that I head back for a beer. They seem to travel in small groups that are constantly on the move. Favorite plugs are Ripsticks (Blue Hawaian, Clown, Ghost), shallow running Husky Jerks (Blue Chrome, Tennesse Shad) & Smithwicks (Black & Chrome orange belly). I've caught them on a fast retrieve & barely moving. It helps if you've got a partner and you're mixing it up. The fish will let you know. Avoid any boat noise at all cost. A few years ago we either catching or rolling them on every other cast when my buddys son dropped a big flashlight. We never caught another fish. I'm sure some of the good sticks on this site might have different ideas. Everybody's experience is different. But over the years this formula is what works for me. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I seemed to have forgotten that you also asked for lures to toss at those night fish! Well if I could have only one it would be the storm wiggle wart, preferably the old ones with the rattle and made before Rapala bought them out. They cast easy, fish easy and catch fish, any with blues, and/or blacks and greens are my favorite colors.

chumthrower gave some very good info on where to look and especially the stealth part, without quiet and that means no noise above normal talking, then you are wasting your time.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-17-2015 at 08:17 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Man, I think you guys gave me more than enough to get started. Love this site for that reason. I appreciate the help and will hopefully have a fish or two I can tell you about in the next couple weeks.