Fishing with the Chapman's 6/9/15 Fishing with the Chapman's 6/9/15 Fishing with the Chapman's 6/9/15 Fishing with the Chapman's 6/9/15

Default Fishing with the Chapman's 6/9/15

It was a fiasco of a morning yesterday, and our 9am start ended up starting at 12:30pm instead....I screwed up...again (deep sigh). Let me explain.

My normal routine when I get home from a fishing trip is, to back the boat in under the carport, get out of the truck and immediately plug in the boat's charger. Well, last Sunday, I got out of the truck and went to inspect a stream of water bubbling up from the end of my driveway. There was a water main break...again. This is the third one in about 5 years. So, with my arms full of smelly fish/boat towels, and the dogs barking inside the house, because they were glad I was home, I went directly in the house first, and forgot to plug my charger in. And, I never thought of it again until I went to check it yesterday morning before my trip, and realized my mistake. Arrrrrggghhh!

I had an hour and a half before I had to meet them at Mazurik's, so I plugged it in and waited to see what level the batteries were at. I guess I was hoping it would show a better charge than it did, because Sunday's trip was only a short 4 hour excursion. Nope! They stayed at 25% for a long time...ugh. So, I called my crew, who were driving up from Columbus, and told them what happened. I asked them to meet me at my house, and we would go have breakfast, go pick up Jeremy's fish he had at "Mike's Taxidermy", and then go get their licenses. I had hoped the batteries would be charged enough by then to have the Ulterra to use for the day.

I still had a lot of time before they showed up, so I left with the dogs to take them for a morning walk, and to pick up some ice for the fish cooler. When I got back my driveway was full of men, equipment, and trucks ready to fix that water main break. They had my boat blocked in! I told them I needed to get it out from under the carport before they started work. They moved all their stuff and I pulled it out and re-positioned it, so I could get it plugged in again. They were very accommodating. This was a big job, because they had the road crew out there doing the stop and go traffic around my driveway.

Fast forward....Steve and Jeremy showed up and picked me up from my neighbor's driveway. We went and did everything I stated above, and came back to my house. While we were at breakfast, a friend who was out in the morning called me to say, "You should reschedule it's solid 4's out here with some 5's". I said, "I can't! I have already rescheduled these two twice now, due to weather, and it's supposed to lay down this afternoon". He said, "Well, it just took us 45 minutes to go from the SW corner of Kellys to Mazurik's". I thanked him for his report and told my guys what he said. I told them that we should hold off on our start time until Noon, because iwindsurf was showing it laying down around that time. And, because it was a WSW wind, it would lay down much faster than if it were out of the opposite direction. They agreed, because they were determined to go fishing.

I checked the batteries again, and found they were fully charged! Woot! Woot! Hooray!

We hit Mazurik's at Noon and were headed up to the west side of Gull to fish. We started up closer to the line, and headed southeast along the edge of the shoal, and picked up 4 small walleye right away. Whew! There would be no "skunk" in the boat today!

We made that pass and then turned around to go back up that line again. We didn't pick up any walleye going that direction, but we did get some sheep, cats, and whites. At that point, I decided to pick up and go over to Lucy's Point to see if there were fish over there.

The lake had laid down nicely by now and it was a very enjoyable afternoon on the lake. We set down just south of Lucy's and I went to deploy the Ulterra...."No Motor Found"...huh? What? But, I had a full charge! Or, so I thought. I told them I had to do it "Old School" and run the kicker from the back. So, since Steve was pretty much restricted to his seat, due to a hip surgery that put 6 very large screws in his bones, it was going to be up to Jeremy to man the boards. I didn't have my "Captain" to steer the boat anymore and had to do it manually....ugh...who ever said, "I miss the good old days" doesn't remember how restricting sitting on a tiller can be! Ha!

Well, we did manage to pick up 8 more walleye in a pass from Lucy's back over to the southern end of Gull Island Shoal, so we did manage to fish the old school way. Jeremy did a heck of a job following my instructions when it came to reeling in fish and setting lines on his own. I would just get off the motor long enough to net the fish for him.

Our program was crawler harnesses, of course. But, unlike the program last month, the distance back was a little further out. We ran the 1oz inlines back 41-59 and the #2 Tadpoles 43-50 back (and, any number in between). We had a 4oz bottom bouncer out too, and that caught 3 nice walleye for us. Our speed was 1.5mph.

It was a long day, but it was a fun day. Steve and Jeremy are two of my regulars and do 4-5 trips per season, so we are all very comfortable with each other in the boat. It's more like fishing with my best buds than with customers....meaning I get to swear like a sailor if I feel like it, and so do they.

Oh! Before I forget....when I went to unplug the Ulterra for the day, I noticed that the plug had partially come out, and THAT is why it read "Motor Not Found"! It wasn't because the batteries were dead. OMG! I did it "old school" when I didn't have to, because I didn't check the obvious first. Lesson learned.

I have today off, but I'm back to a full schedule starting tomorrow and barring any bad weather, so....

Stay tuned!

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with the Chapman's 6/9/15-steve-jeremy-chapman-6-9-15-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Sounds like you'd better not have any more "WHOLE WEEK OFF" breaks. Lol, just kiddin. It looks like it all worked out for the better having a late start anyway. You were able to let the lake settle down for ya. Nice job on not letting the little things ruin your day. It must have been in the air because after I gassed up yesterday morn I realized I was below a half tank of 2 stroke oil. While I was debating going anyway, the wind just kept on blowing so I decided to call it off altogether. I went and got oil and went back and filled up and tried to catch some gills for a while but my marina is a muddy mess right now so the gills didn't even want to cooperate. Caught a couple largemouths and a few rock bass and called it a day.
    Good job, Juls and good report. Made plans to go out friday on a boat with sides on it. It will be kinda nice not worryin about fallin in the drink all day. Lol . Good luck to all
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Hey Juls love reading your reports. I have a question if your able to help me out. Normally when I use weights I just use the
    50/50 method and change my amount of weight depending how deep I want to run. When you say you are using 1 oz 41-59 ft back how
    deep is that putting you down? Thank you for any help you might be able to provide. The only chart I have for the snap weights is the 50/50 method. Thank again! Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CBEACHY View Post
    Hey Juls love reading your reports. I have a question if your able to help me out. Normally when I use weights I just use the
    50/50 method and change my amount of weight depending how deep I want to run. When you say you are using 1 oz 41-59 ft back how
    deep is that putting you down? Thank you for any help you might be able to provide. The only chart I have for the snap weights is the 50/50 method. Thank again! Chris
    That's because I'm using the inline weights and not a snap weight right now....I've attached an easy chart for the inline weight depths for you. I don't remember who posted it originally, but it sure does come in handy!

Also, you can find the depth charts for the Tadpoles here:
    http://www.offshoretackle.com/divecharts.htm (just click on the one you want to view). I save the images of the charts to my iphone, so that way it's in my photos. Now I don't have to go to their website each time to look up a depth/number....something you couldn't do if you didn't have a cell signal.

hope that helps...
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with the Chapman's 6/9/15-inline-dive-charts-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.