Tad Poles, Dipsy, Inline wts  vs TT divers Tad Poles, Dipsy, Inline wts  vs TT divers Tad Poles, Dipsy, Inline wts  vs TT divers Tad Poles, Dipsy, Inline wts  vs TT divers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tad Poles, Dipsy, Inline wts vs TT divers

I have never used the Tad Pole divers of any size. The reason being that their original advertised dive curve was considerably more than that of the Tru-Trip 40 diver. So with me being a shorter the line closer to the cooler type of guy I just never used them. I do not know if there has been any recalculations in their dive curves or not. But if not, the longer leads required to reach the same depths is not better for me. I am not saying the Tad Poles, inline wts or dipsys are not good choices and TT divers are a better choice but I am saying they just do not fit in with my style of fishing as good as the TT divers do.

The 2nd reason is that I fish a lot in the rocky reef areas of the western basin and do not like the thought of getting hung up in the rocks and losing tackle/equipment while slowing down or stopping (I fish solo frequently) to land a fish or even while making turns. That is also the reason I no longer use the inline wt programs or for that matter dipsy divers. Remember that when ever the lead from inline boards to diver exceeds the depth of the water then the weighted divers and inline Wts will sink and make contact with the bottom and possibly get snagged in the rocks when slowing down, turning and stopping to net fish.

I am sure that there are days that the added vertical swim (raising and lowering of the bait with changing speeds during turns and wave surge ) while using inline wts and/or Tad Poles would help in the catch rate being quicker than just the use of the TT divers. But then again I don’t have to carry the extra tackle or endure the mental anguish trying to decide which program to start with or change to during the course of the day.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-08-2015 at 11:12 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

you are better off with the tt divers giving your style of fishing. I think the inline weights and dipsies are better suited for the central basin. but that's just an opinion.

I have not tried the Tadpoles myself and probably won't.. I talked to Off Shore reps. at a couple of sports shows and also listened to
    and read articles by another major promoter of them I have resisted in making a purchase. The last article on Tadpoles was with adding releases to improve them. WHAT !!!..I carry inline wts. and TT's if I cannot catch what is needed, it was not my day. I also use dipsy's at times and pull them when things go slow and fish seem to be at the bottom or just for sh't's and giggles.

Wakina, thanks, and may I quote you on a labels for the boat "shorter the line closer to the cooler" one pad'ner insist on using Jet 20's all day long.

Gene

Gene:

Quote away, that is why I post information.

I do it so people can use it if they want or disregard it if that suits their fancy. I have used the Jets in the past starting with the 10's and worked my way up in size from there to the 40's. The number of landed fish vs hooked fish increased. So, I just assumed it was due to the shorter line not giving Murphy's Law more time to work its magic.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Default TT40s

Wakina.
    After purchasing what is probably a lifetime supply of inline weights I ordered some TT40s yesterday. I'll give them a try next week when I'm up. One question: I your thread you said that you often fish solo. So do I and I'm new to trolling. It may seem like a silly question but do you fish both boards out of the same side of the boat or one on each side. It seems like you could keep an eye on both easier if they are on the same side. Thanks for allthe info you post here. You are among those I pay close attention to.

I fished solo for the first time this year and started out one on each side. I soon realized it was much easier to fish the same side!! Also it makes it easier to read the boards as they separate when a fish is on. Yes, same side!
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Quote Originally Posted by Defernaut View Post
    Wakina.
    After purchasing what is probably a lifetime supply of inline weights I ordered some TT40s yesterday. I'll give them a try next week when I'm up. One question: I your thread you said that you often fish solo. So do I and I'm new to trolling. It may seem like a silly question but do you fish both boards out of the same side of the boat or one on each side. It seems like you could keep an eye on both easier if they are on the same side. Thanks for allthe info you post here. You are among those I pay close attention to.
    I fish out both sides most often unless there are indications the water conditions with wind direction and/or underwater currents are more productive on one side of the boat vs the other. The fish will tell you! By watching how the boards move away from the boat can and will show you that something at and/or under the surface is causing one side or the other to give a different action to the baits being used.

Even while trolling with the wind, it may be that the wind is pushing your boat one way or the other ever so slightly so one side is actually moving slightly faster, deeper or shallower than the other side of the boat depending on your bait and depth control choice(inline,TT or dipsy). Some days it does not matter but others all or most all of the fish will come on the side that moves away at a nice V angle (slower side) while the other side lags behind (closer to the boat but back some with the same leads) just enough that you can see the difference in the angles that the boards are following on differing sides of the boat and that other side (lagging behind some) is not nearly as productive. Let the fish tell you, then on those days fish both rods out the more productive side. But there are exceptions so that is the reason I always start with a line on each side of the boat. I switch to the more productive side after the second fish!!!
    Last edited by wakina; 06-09-2015 at 05:11 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Wakina do you attach your spoons off your TTs using snaps or snap swivels ?

I have tried it both ways and settled on the snap swivels with a 60" leader. I feel it allows the spoon more freedom of movement. The spoon has to be not only able to flutter but to flip over and flash both sides the top and the back without twisting the leader. I am sure that there are others who use just the snap.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Wakina...I am fairly new to trolling. I have put my TT's in "time out" and started running Tadpoles. The TT's seemed like they were not running straight, especially as they would get closer to the boat. Is this common and is there a way to tune them?