Tad Poles, Dipsy, Inline wts  vs TT divers Tad Poles, Dipsy, Inline wts  vs TT divers Tad Poles, Dipsy, Inline wts  vs TT divers Tad Poles, Dipsy, Inline wts  vs TT divers
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ErieEric View Post
    Wakina...I am fairly new to trolling. I have put my TT's in "time out" and started running Tadpoles. The TT's seemed like they were not running straight, especially as they would get closer to the boat. Is this common and is there a way to tune them?
    I think what you're seeing is the affect of the prop wash on the diver. I've never seen a tru-trip not run straight. I stack them down my tow line pretty tight and never have much of an issue, unless I get a sideways running white bass on.
    Captain Greg
    Walleye2go Sportfishing

I think walleye2go nailed it, along with the fact that the angle from rod tip to diver is becoming sharper and at an increased speed as the retrieval process adds more speed both of which adds more force to the face of the diver causing it to veer left or right to relieve that downward pressure. I have been using the TT divers since they first became available and have never had a problem with them in any way.

I also know that TT divers are a piece of equipment that I do not discard regularly so my experience with them is limited to the few that I have. The Old school Jet Divers were another thing though with several filling with water and some never pulling straight right out of their packaging but never with the TT divers. The hardest thing about using the TT divers would be getting the tripping device set right so they stay set with only the lure attached but trip with the hook up of even a small junk fish.

In summary, I think what you are witnessing is the combined mechanics of Trolling speed, Prop Wash, added speed from the retrieval process, the decreasing angle from rod tip to diver and the added forces those things apply to the divers face that are causing your concern.

I had to edit this because I did not answer your question directly with the original reply. That answer would be that yes, I do witness the zig and the zag behaviour as the divers get closer to the boat and that aspect of the diver does/has not concerned me. The zig-zaging is most pronounced with the diver tripped as the angles of force from water resistance can change with the diver in the free swim/tripped position. A diver that is not tripped will move one way or the other and kind of stay on that course and just keep bearing in that direction until it breaks the surface.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-10-2015 at 07:48 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default Another question regarding TT

Quote Originally Posted by ErieEric View Post
    Wakina...I am fairly new to trolling. I have put my TT's in "time out" and started running Tadpoles. The TT's seemed like they were not running straight, especially as they would get closer to the boat. Is this common and is there a way to tune them?
    If you gentlemen don't mind...
    May seem like a stupid question, but when using the dive curve charts, what are you basing your line counter on? At the water level, tip of the rod, or at the actual reel? I realize duplication is the key to line counters, but I also fish solo most of the time. If I remember correctly, on a TT40, 65' of line out runs you down to approx. 26'. When solo, rods are direct to the TT and placed in rod holder, Obvious rod tip about 6-8' above waterline. Every once in a while I have a couple buddies with me and I can run the big boards...obviously clips are closer to the waterline. Probably over thinking this as usual...

Thank you

Dive curve is based on line that is physically in the water. So you have to compensate for any line you have out of the water. If you want 65ft back and rod tip is 8ft above water. You will need to add the 8ft to your 65ft lead.

The depth that is referred to would be from the water line to the diver and not the rod tip to diver, unless the rod tip is positioned at surface level. You must take into consideration how much line it takes from the rod tip to get to the surface level. Height of the rod tip is irrelevant! The only meaningful measurement is the line back from surface level as that is where the divers action and the dive curve originates from.

There is one simple and effective way to determine exactly when you have the desired amount of line out from your rod tip to water line besides just estimating the distance. Get yourslf a package of small rubber bands, small enough to pass thru the rod guides and the level wind device on your trolling rig. Half hitch a small rubber band to the line at the desired amount of line out. In your example you wanted 65' of line out to reach 26'. So just leave out the line from your reel until you get to 65' and then half hitch the small rubber band to your fishing line at the rod tip and leave out your line until the rubber band is just at the surface level +/- an inch or 2 so long as you can see it at the surface. That is the easiest way that I have found to get the desired results you are looking for. Upon retreival just wind it back thru the guides and onto the reel leaving it in place for the next fish So you can double check your total line out. Once you have determined the total distance you can read your line counter numbers and just set lines back that distance. Example would be 65' for dive curve and 24' from rod tip to the water level making the total 89' reading on your linecounter with rod in the rod holder. You can just leave out 89' each time and be reasonably assured that you are about 26ft down.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-10-2015 at 10:31 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thank you gentlemen!

Great info as always Wakina, I'll remember the river band suggestion in the future as well because I've often quarreled with the difference between the boards off the back of the boat and those off of the inlines. Big trouble, you have the most immigrant part of all already figured out: It's not how much longer is let out on each reel, it's duplicating the depth that's working.

Very informative thread, carry on.

Thanks for the info guys...guess I will take the TT's out of the penalty box and give them another try.

I am still very new to trolling techniques. I started about 4 years ago. I generally fish solo until the weather warms...then my wife goes as well. Anyway...I have often wonder how to duplicate the "back" depths you here on Ch.79. I know most of the charters are using big boards (Skipper, Eric, etc.), but have always wondered about the base for the dive curves. Guess it was not as dumb of a question as I thought. Should have asked it 4 years ago! With Wakina's input...I realize I am fishing much higher in the water column than I thought. Will adjust next trip out, which will be father's day with my little girl. Good luck to all. As always, thank you again for the help!!!