Question for all the casters. Question for all the casters. Question for all the casters. Question for all the casters.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for all the casters.

I just got back into chasing eyes, some years back a friend introduced me to mayfly rigs so I made a bunch up. Went out for the first time last week and fought 3 nice fish and lost 3. My question is should I pu a stinger hook on the end? If so how? Any comments are appreciated.

I do not use stingers or any kind of trailer hooks on my rigs. I use a single 1/0 hook on the rigs I tie up. I just fish them the same as I do using weight forward spinners. Did they shake off at the boat, or a ways out? I like to use light and medium- light rods for eyes so I can stay on the retrieve hard and let my drag do the work if needed while keeping plenty of rod tension on the lure/hookset. Dont be afraid to put some ass in your hookset, the lighter rod gives me the liberty of doing so without ripping lure out of their mouths. It also helps me net the fish when I'm solo having the rod bent in half. Good luck
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Thanks. Yes I lost them all about half way out. I use a med/heavy 6' rod and I think I do set the hook pretty hard. When i have a fish on i pull them up with the rod then qind back down and pull up again till the fish is up. I also have my drag set good so they can have some line if the dive back down.I just wondered if a stinger would help or hurt the presentation.

I agree with MasterK. A stinger is not necessary. Pay attention to your hooks. Keep them sharp and you will lose fewer fish. You might have just had a run of bad luck.

Don't use the reel and pull reel and pull method...just keep steady tension on the fish when reeling in...they are just like hooking into logs and sometimes just sit there...just keep tension on them at all times and a steady retrieve...you will get to know when you hook a walleye vs any other fish...

The double hooking seems to beat up your worm too much cast after cast, also. Its hard enough with 1 hook try to keep your worm looking presentable. I myself don't care for stingers in general. Just my opinion.
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

I agree with Jacked Up, keep reeling after setting the hook. Let the spool do the work and keep a bend in the pole. Be certain the drag is set properly. I have seen quite a few lost when the pole loses tension. When fishing alone I put the pole in a rod holder with plenty of tension on the line, the fish just barely in the water, and a long handled net. Too old and clumsy to hold the rod and net the fish at the same time.

Default mayfly rig set-up

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry D View Post
    I just got back into chasing eyes, some years back a friend introduced me to mayfly rigs so I made a bunch up. Went out for the first time last week and fought 3 nice fish and lost 3. My question is should I pu a stinger hook on the end? If so how? Any comments are appreciated.
    Gerry- just curious, what size and brand/style hook are you using on your rigs?

This batch I made up using bait holder eagle claw either #4 or #6 hooks and 17lb. Low vis stren line.

Question for all the casters.-0629130935-jpgBeen using single hook rigs for years like this. Erie Dearies only have one hook. You can make 2 hook cast rigs but use hooks without barbs on the shank in a size 6 or so. Some companies do make worm rigs with a small rear treble but I dont think they are needed. I prefer a 6.6ft medium rod, I think a medium hvy is just too stiff but your choice. Set your drag and a steady reel works best. Slack line looses fish.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]