Trolling Bag Question Trolling Bag Question Trolling Bag Question Trolling Bag Question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Bag Question

Hello All, I have a question about trolling bags. I have a 25' sportcraft and have been drift fishing for years. I have recently decided to do some trolling and have had pretty good success. I am having trouble controlling the boat while trolling. It seems like the waves or wind just push the nose so ease at such low speeds. Would a trolling bag help to control the boat? Would I need to have one on both sides of the boat or just one side? I can get my speeds down to 1.2 without out it but I think the prop spinning so slow just causes me to not have as much control.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I used 2 bags last weekend, one on each side of my 25' sportcraft since my kicker motor was getting worked on and I can tell you that you can not leave the wheel with this set up. When I did to net a fish it would turn one way or the other real quick. As far as steering it would drift one way or the other, cant wait to get kicker back. That was the first time using that set up and last for me unless I have 2 people working the back of boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 24' sportcraft and use one bag to increase the prop rpm's for more power and an autopilot as I usually fish alone or with 1 friend. I troll with the wind or at a 30-45 degree angle with the wind depending on wind speed. Otherwise the wind blows the nose every direction if I try to troll directly into it. If the wind is too strong I will troll with the wind and then run back to the starting point just like drifting.

Post Thanks / Like

boat control is just a problem when going so slow. my 21' boat has better control without bags but I cant get my speed down low enough to catch fish. your better off without bags if you can troll that slow without them. what we do is troll with the wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys for all the responses. I think I will go without the bag and just try some of the things you have mentioned. I will be heading out of turtle creek tomorrow. Look like I will be solo so if anyone want to take a trip out let me know..