Weekend report Weekend report Weekend report Weekend report
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Weekend report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weekend report

Fished in 35' of water, from the NW corner to the SW corner of Kelley's all weekend. TONS of big marks. Could not believe how many marks we were getting in places.

Program changed a little throughout the day each day, and there wasn't any certain big ticket lure. I'd say TT40's 54' back with worm harnesses @ 2.2-2.4mph were the most productive. Also caught fish on dipsey's with worm harnesses, and deep tail dancers (both size 9 & 11)

Sunday was the best day, but also fought off some junk fish. Went out yesterday, further than most boats were venturing.

What brand/size swivels does everyone use when towing TT40's? And what about smaller swivels when pulling crankbaits?

I lost 3-4 fish (and a TT40, a worm harness, & a crank bait) due to swivel failures this weekend, and I've never really had this issue before. I had been using some beefy Danielson swivels with the TT40's, but all the sudden this weekend, every one of them would pull the split ring out of the swivel without much effort. Drags were not too tight, I wasn't too deep, etc.
    Last edited by freddie; 05-26-2015 at 06:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about the swivel failures. I've been using the Danielson Barrel Swivels, Stainless with out any failures on all set-ups. Not sure "why" unless these were a bad batch. Will be interesting to hear what others say.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone that I know has went thru the swivel scenario including myself so I am not being critical of you. I have come to believe that the best is always better than the economy models. With that being said I have no experience with the Danielson products and they may be a quality product.

Fishermen spend between $70.00 and $200.00+ on their line counter rod and reel combinations, line cost depends on type and how much($$ to $$$), $10.00+ on a diving device, $7.00 average on a crank bait, several more dollars on gas, food and maybe lodging. Question is~~~ Why skimp on what can and most likely is the weakest link in their fishing setups besides the knots?

I started using either Spro or Sampo swivels and snap swivels all of which are stainless steel and ball bearing construction I have not looked back since and I have never been disappointed by either one. They are pricey but then again so are the other things in your setups. Why risk the loss of equipment and or a fish of a lifetime over a few dollars more especially since one already has a large investment in the other equipment.
    Last edited by wakina; 05-26-2015 at 08:26 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

The crazy thing is that I stocked up on these maybe 3 years ago. So really, I have been using them from the same batch for years, and this is the first time I have had one fail like this. The split rings weren't oblonged before this happened. I tied a new one on to run a dipsy and pulled on it to put tension on that split ring, and same failure, not even 10lb of tension and the split ring opened up pulled right out of the swivel. Good thing I checked it before getting that dipsy wet!!

Wakina, you are spot on. I'm not sure where the Danielson swivels rank, but I'm not one to cheap out on my setups at all. I will look into and likely stock up on the spro brand if they come recommended from you.