newbe1 finally fishing lake Erie newbe1 finally fishing lake Erie newbe1 finally fishing lake Erie newbe1 finally fishing lake Erie

Default newbe1 finally fishing lake Erie

OK need help. I know Lake Erie has great walleye fishing, but for a new guy this spring fishing will be a challenge. Plans are to go out of Catawba on Wednesday if winds allow. Have been reading here and appears that using planner boards are most effective, although maybe too advanced for me now. How about using "blades" jigging or slow troll with???? Any help would be great as to location to fish and what to use. Boat is deep V 18 starcraft IO.with 15hp kicker. Thanks

I can only tell you I was up 10 days ago and I went out of wild wings in oak harbor. The fish weren't far off shore really and I caught them with reef runners. I'm not a charter captain, just a newbie like you but have been up a couple years now. The best money you could spend would be to do a walk on charter. Skipper 9 has walk ons, Capt. Jules fishes small boards, Lots of others on here, just decide what method you would like to use. Small or big boards and go with someone of that style. It is a small price to pay for your education and you will burn more in fuel learning all the little tricks of reading your gear and rigging it. If you don't know how to read your gear you might drag a small junk fish for miles before checking it. If your fishing 4 lines you just lost 25 percent of your chances for that time. It will happen that you have a fish and don't even know it. If you have a specific question I'll try to answer but it to much typing to go thru it all. Right now I think you can catch on just about anything, if you have the right depth, speed, ....ie worm harness, spoon, crankbait. IF. It's a big word that takes a ton of experience to know

Default Advice from experience

Quote Originally Posted by rick2752 View Post
    I can only tell you I was up 10 days ago and I went out of wild wings in oak harbor. The fish weren't far off shore really and I caught them with reef runners. I'm not a charter captain, just a newbie like you but have been up a couple years now. The best money you could spend would be to do a walk on charter. Skipper 9 has walk ons, Capt. Jules fishes small boards, Lots of others on here, just decide what method you would like to use. Small or big boards and go with someone of that style. It is a small price to pay for your education and you will burn more in fuel learning all the little tricks of reading your gear and rigging it. If you don't know how to read your gear you might drag a small junk fish for miles before checking it. If your fishing 4 lines you just lost 25 percent of your chances for that time. It will happen that you have a fish and don't even know it. If you have a specific question I'll try to answer but it to much typing to go thru it all. Right now I think you can catch on just about anything, if you have the right depth, speed, ....ie worm harness, spoon, crankbait. IF. It's a big word that takes a ton of experience to know
    Thank you for the timely and excellent advice Rick. Rigging up can be expensive and trail by error maybe educational but I prefer results over lost time and money. A call to one of your suggestions is on the way. Thank you.