Releases Releases Releases Releases
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Releases

Post Thanks / Like

Default Releases

Hi I'm curious to what releases every one is using on there planer mast lines. Never trolled with planer boards before and I'm looking for the best set up. Thanks Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I carry only the Offshore releases OR10 (yellow) and OR14 (black) they each are slightly adjustable and just about as simple as one can get. My preference is really the OR3's for sure but they are a bit pricey and they all work with the rubber bands
    that some use along with reel line in either mono or braids. Also, they are easily found at most shop where fishing tackle is found.

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

Pilgrim releases are what all big boats I know use. Amish outfitters is the cheapest place on the web I know to get them.
    Captain Greg
    Walleye2go Sportfishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walleye2go View Post
    Pilgrim releases are what all big boats I know use. Amish outfitters is the cheapest place on the web I know to get them.
    Those are the releases I'd go to. If for nothing else, the price is what sets them apart. $12-15/dozen rather than $10 for 4. If they start to wear out, snap a rubber band on and keep using them.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use big boards any more but back when I dit I just used the metal pear shaped shower curtain rings and the rubber bands that's made for the band buster releases. they are red in color and rated at 2 lbs I believe but they are the light weight rubber bands. you can pick them up at most bait shops around the great lakes. they have 2 weights heavy and light and for most fishing the lite ones works best. just let out your line then loop the band around your line and pull it through its self and pull it tight. then put it on the curtain ring and snap the rind closed over your board line. then just feed out line and it will slide out as far as you want to go. as you catch fish or change baits the rings will just slide out your line and stack up at the boards. just have extra rings. the rubber bands are sold under the name Weldon tackle. you could probably do a search for Weldon tackle trolling rubber bands and find them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks every one for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Close to what Sherman51 said, I use the pear shaped shower curtain with a plastic clothes pin, works great. the clothes pins have holes in them to fit on the shower curtain and the rubber bands are from Staples, size 32.
    the best part is total cost per release is about a quarter a piece. Got to love it.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the pilgrim releases.

Post Thanks / Like

I made inexpensive releases using mini spring clamps. I get the clamps from Kroger Marketplace for $.59 each and they even have holes in the handle to attach to a shower curtain ring. I half lap a number 16 rubber band over the fishing line, cut it, and attach the clamp to ONE of the tag ends. The clamps hold on a little too tight with both tag ends attached. With only one tag end attached, a larger fish will release it and the rubber band will stretch more than the others when dragging a white bass/perch. Here are some pics...

Releases-img_0862-1-jpg

Releases-img_0750-1-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

dgf, what type of metal are those? It'd be fantastic if they're aluminum to avoid the rust. They look like they're a little bigger than regular releases, but you can't beat that price!