Lure depth? Lure depth? Lure depth? Lure depth?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lure depth?

Default Lure depth?

hello. We fished the reefs area for the first time Saturday. We launched at fenwick and ran kind of northeast to about 20fow. Correct me if I'm wrong but I was close to the range cans I think. We used perfect tens for the first time also. Picked up 3 eyes total 2 on per 10's. One on a crawler harness right off the bottom, which leads me to a question. We ran the perfect 10's 20 ft back snapped a 1oz weight and then back another 20. How deep do you think these were running? Is there any data out there to purchase for using snap weights? Thanks

The Trolling Bilble calls that the 20 plus method. Snap a 1 oz weight on 20 feet in front of your crank, get 33% more depth. Final depth is determined by line, speed, distance and such…. but the above adjustment is standard.

Is the perfect 10 a Husky Jerk HJ-10 stick bait?

Perfect ten is made by Smithwick. just google them.

I have seen in post here on the p10's using your method of 20/20 and 30/30 in your area of trolling, but those who use them have had good success with them and I am not sure just what depth they are running. I am sure those that are using them will be on here and will let you know. Jul's and other charters here have posted using them please read earlier post. Please don't use those
    suggestion for p10's and apply to dhj12's as they have a totally different dive curve and most without inline wts.

I use this chart and it works quite well for me. Good Luck!

http://www.offshoretackle.com/divechartsOR20.htm

bobby

20-20 @ 1mph 10lb mono should put you around 8-10ft down

Quote Originally Posted by Panfisher1402 View Post
    20-20 @ 1mph 10lb mono should put you around 8-10ft down
    Awsome thank you! Where did u get that info if you don't mind me asking? We were marking tons at that depth.. We sure guessed that one! Haha thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justawelder View Post
    Awsome thank you! Where did u get that info if you don't mind me asking? We were marking tons at that depth.. We sure guessed that one! Haha thanks
    Precision Trolling puts P10's 4'depth at 20' back. As a standard rule we add 4'ft depth per 1 ounce of weight. It's not perfect but gets you pretty close. I believe the weight 20' ahead of the lure gives your bait a lot of vertical movement in the water column when you have speed changes like turns and such.

OffShore tackle has a chart on the site for 50/50 to use with their snap weights.

if you don't have a depth chart you can do this, look at the angle of your line if it's 45 degrees use a multiplier of .7, .5 for 30 and .25 for 15 degrees. so 50 feet of line at an angle of 45 would be 35 feet deep, 25 for 30 degrees and 12.5 feet for 15 degrees. This works well with dipseys and heavy weights. If you are flat lining cranks it's not as accurate because the line will have a bow in it.